Author Topic: Avast pushing paid product  (Read 12892 times)

csa/montana

Avast pushing paid product
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:37:10 AM »
Just recently I've been getting Red alerts that my Avast is about to expire, & I will no longer receive auto updates.  When I click on "Renew", it takes me to the paid versions!

I'm using the free version, which I renewed in 11/12.  So do these alerts mean I no longer will receive the auto updates for my current free version?  This is very disrupting!

Keyser Söze

Re: Avast pushing paid product
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:35:46 AM »
It is hard to understand exactly what is the problem.

If you want to update avast virus definitions by yourself, offline, go (in a nother computer) to http://www.avast.com/en-au/download-update, select which virus definition to download, and run it in the machine offline.

If the problem is registration, go to http://www.avast.com/en-au/registration-free-antivirus.php and get the serial number to your e-mail (or 10minutemail or guerrilla mail, for that matter) and put it in the maintenance tab.

Otherwise, please review how you write about your problem.

schicic k

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
i noticed, i had a about half a year of subscription of free antivirus left then boom "subscription expired" and when u click renew it giives different prices for "free" avast. i just had to restore my computer and this crap aint helpin, avast is my favorite antivirus but if they start doing this im going back to mcaffe

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:40:25 AM »
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

csa/montana

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
To make my problem clearer; I get a RED alert box that my subscription has expired, and I will no longer receive updates. My subscription does NOT expire until Nov.  When I click on the box it takes me to a subscription for a PAID version!  If I want the paid version, I will buy it; but when I get red notices saying my subscription has expired, simply as a trick to get me to order the paid version, this is upsetting, as well as slightly dishonest!  If this continues, it will force me, not to buy a paid version; rather finding another product to replace Avast!

csa/montana

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »
Here is the warning I'm getting!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:41 AM »
You will have to do the reinstall as outlined by Asyn.

System Restore and avast self-defence don't like one and other, we have started to see this recently when system restore is used. Why it ends up with Pro trial is beyond me. But if you have to use system restore, first disable the avast self-defence module.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

waking

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »

I'm using the free version, which I renewed in 11/12. 

Interesting that you say you have the free AV installed, but the popup says you have the IS suite -
neither free nor Pro. Did you ever have a trial version of the Internet Security installed?

Offline Kimmikak1119

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:49:35 AM »
I followed the instructions given by ASYN to the letter and as soon as it finished downloading it said I had 30 days free trial.

>:(

I am so frustrated with this and don't know what else to do.  I have installed and uninstalled this "free" version 4 times with the exact same results. 

I have had the free version for years when all of a sudden I got alert saying my free trial period was over and I had to renew????   What the hey!!!!    Does free not mean free anymore!!!!

Advise anyone that has had luck getting back to the "real free" version.

Please e-mail with subject line free avast fix so I don't miss answers.  Thanks!!!

kimmikak1119@yahoo.com

csa/montana

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:09 AM »

I'm using the free version, which I renewed in 11/12. 

Interesting that you say you have the free AV installed, but the popup says you have the IS suite -
neither free nor Pro. Did you ever have a trial version of the Internet Security installed?

No, I've never had a trial version installed; this is why I'm upset over the warnings!

csa/montana

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 05:16:22 AM »

System Restore and avast self-defence don't like one and other, we have started to see this recently when system restore is used. Why it ends up with Pro trial is beyond me. But if you have to use system restore, first disable the avast self-defence module.

I have not had to use System Restore; so that would have no bearing on whether they like one another or not.  I'm very surprised at all the problems with Avast, posted here!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »

I have not had to use System Restore; so that would have no bearing on whether they like one another or not.  I'm very surprised at all the problems with Avast, posted here!

As an avast user I can't explain why the problem arose.

But in a support site you get people posting problems, that is what a support site is for, those without problems generally don't post saying they have no problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arnold72

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
Looks like the trial of internet security has been installed and expired as the pop up clearly shows. :o

Blues_Ken

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »
I'm having the same problem. My question is if "the trial of internet security has been installed and expired" does that mean none of my Avast is going to continue working or just the internet security part ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
The internet security part is the complete thing, as you don't have the free version but somehow the avast internet security trial, which has expired.

The program itself would continue to work, but you can't get updates, the virus definitions, etc.

So you have to reinstall avast free as has been mentioned earlier.