Author Topic: Avast pushing paid product  (Read 12895 times)

Blues_Ken

Re: Avast pushing paid product
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »
Thank you for the quick response.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
You're welcome, I'm only sorry you are having to experience this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

csa/montana

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
Looks like the trial of internet security has been installed and expired as the pop up clearly shows. :o

Except I have never downloaded a trial (Paid) Avast!  I've have used the free Avast for several years with no problems, until this red flag started popping up; now I don't know if my free subscription will not receive updates or what.

rpainter

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »
I have to agree with the experiences of Montana.  I'm a long-term userr of Avast.  I somehow found that I too had inadvertently downloaded Avast Internet Security and am getting the same mesages.  It is very curious that my computer shows and calls it Avast Anti Virus freeware, yet whey it is opened up it is called Avast Internet Security.  I'm reluctant to remove and replace if I'm only going to get a 30 day trial product.  Hopefully Avast will read and listen to these posts and clean up its act.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
Looks like the trial of internet security has been installed and expired as the pop up clearly shows. :o

Except I have never downloaded a trial (Paid) Avast!  I've have used the free Avast for several years with no problems, until this red flag started popping up; now I don't know if my free subscription will not receive updates or what.
I have to agree with the experiences of Montana.  I'm a long-term userr of Avast.  I somehow found that I too had inadvertently downloaded Avast Internet Security and am getting the same mesages.  It is very curious that my computer shows and calls it Avast Anti Virus freeware, yet whey it is opened up it is called Avast Internet Security.  I'm reluctant to remove and replace if I'm only going to get a 30 day trial product.  Hopefully Avast will read and listen to these posts and clean up its act.
Sorry you both are having problems.

Here is a direct download link for all versions of avast!:  http://www.avast.com/download-software

Follow the directions given by asyn earlier in the thread here:
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
Note: Sometimes upgrading a product within the program window can result in this error , as in, "a program update is available".
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

GTX66

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
You will have to do the reinstall as outlined by Asyn.

System Restore and avast self-defence don't like one and other, we have started to see this recently when system restore is used. Why it ends up with Pro trial is beyond me. But if you have to use system restore, first disable the avast self-defence module.

This answer is not acceptable. How long has system restore been around?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
With all due respect DavidR's reply was completely acceptable.
The Pro and AIS installations is a known issue. I have full faith that avast will get this issue resolved.
As David stated the avast self defense mode does not get along with system restore.
It is always better to use the proper uninstaller than to rely on system restore.
Especially since using system restore has possible side effects.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Bill clarke

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 12:04:21 PM »
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.

I note in the uninstall utility it says, run in safe mode, what's this? or will this utility do it for me?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
Safe Mode is as it says a safe mode to try and troubleshoot problems, windows reduces the drivers, etc. (why it is in 256 colours and low resolution) to avoid possible conflicts and most programs don't run in safe mode.

The avast uninstall utility if you run it in normal mode will request it be run in safe mode, accept that (Yes) and it will handle the boot into safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bill clarke

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Safe Mode is as it says a safe mode to try and troubleshoot problems, windows reduces the drivers, etc. (why it is in 256 colours and low resolution) to avoid possible conflicts and most programs don't run in safe mode.

The avast uninstall utility if you run it in normal mode will request it be run in safe mode, accept that (Yes) and it will handle the boot into safe mode.

Thanks David  :)