Author Topic: Scans Alternatingly Stopping Prematurely & Going on Forever  (Read 2072 times)

geudae

Scans Alternatingly Stopping Prematurely & Going on Forever
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »
About two weeks ago, I noticed that both my Quick and Full scans were ending prematurely after about a minute's worth of runtime.  The yellow progress bar showing the percentage of completion never left 0% in either case.  This has continued each time I've tried running any scan (except for the Boot scan, which I never run unless prompted) ever since.  I've still been able to get updates regularly, with no sign of problem.  But I have not been able to perform a complete scan at all since then.

If a scan ends and I immediately go back and restart it without closing out of the program, the scan will run, well... forever.  I left it going overnight and it's been running for over seventeen hours at the moment.  The yellow progress bar is still at 0%.  When I click "stop", nothing happens; the scan continues.

In each of these scans, there has never been any threat or infected file found.  I also use Super AntiSpyware and Malware Bytes and neither or them have indicated that I have any sort of threat, infection, virus, worm, etc.

As of writing this, this is the file that the Quick Scan is stuck on:
SVC:xmlprov>C:\WINDOWS\System32/svchost.exe

And this is what the Full Scan is stuck on:
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00094

I thought that registration might have something to do with it, because I had about forty days left on mine.  So I tried to register, and I received a message that said an error occurred.  I tried again, same thing.  So I uninstalled AVAST and then re-installed, then registered.  But I'm still having the same problem with the scan now.

Any help on figuring this out would be great.  Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Scans Alternatingly Stopping Prematurely & Going on Forever
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
Remove avast, run the uninstall utillity, reboot, run CCleaner have it fix everything it finds, reboot, install a fresh copy of avast.

geudae

Re: Scans Alternatingly Stopping Prematurely & Going on Forever
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:26 AM »
Thank you very much; I'll try that.