Author Topic: Endless popups announcing the same thing  (Read 2193 times)

Peano

Endless popups announcing the same thing
« on: April 27, 2013, 02:25:56 AM »
I'm using Avast Free 8.0.1455. Lately I've been getting a popup message telling me that my subscription to Avast Internet Security has expired and will no longer be updated.

I had no idea I had ever subscribed to Avast Internet Security (whatever that might be), nor do I intend ever to subscribe to it.

Is there any way to shut off the popups? I'm not going to subscribe, so either they go away, or I'll go away to another free antivirus.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Endless popups announcing the same thing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:41:30 AM »
We are seeing a number of these strange conversions to the AIS version in the forums.

There doesn't seem to be a common factor:
For some people it happens after they have used windows system restore ?
For others they haven't used system restore ?

The strange thing is that you report having avast free version 8.0.1455, now that is meant to be a business client version, so I'm not sure how you got that either.

The only way clear of this is to do a reinstall of avast free, I would suggest that you do a clean install:
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1483 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Peano

Re: Endless popups announcing the same thing
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:02:16 AM »
I have uninstalled Avast and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. We'll see how that goes. Congratulations to Avast marketing gurus for driving away a potential customer.