Author Topic: Links to older versions  (Read 2996 times)

Offline zenzor

Links to older versions
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
I've asked for a link to AIS 7 since AIS 8 is causing problems on my systems, but with no luck.

Why don't Avast provide links to older versions for people who are having problems with the new ones?

The only option I seem to have now is to restore my system from an image where I have AIS 6 installed.

websave

Re: Links to older versions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:07:27 AM »
Older versions of avast are outdated and leave space for potential security issues.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:21:30 AM »
Previous versions of avast! can be found on various downloading sites such as FileHippo.

You can download the free version avast! 7 here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/12738/

~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline zenzor

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
Thanks, but I'm looking for Internet Security 7 (or even 6 which I've been using until now), as I have a license for it.   

Johnny4745

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »
Click on Start, type Avast in the search box.  Right click on the Avast program, and then click on restore previous version.

This will give you a list of previous versions stored on your computer.

Offline zenzor

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
Thanks, but I get no results from a search. It's Windows XP btw.

I'll restore my system from an image where  AIS 6 is installed, instead.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »
Good luck with reverting to an older version because you'll need to completely uninstall your existing Avast installation for it not update back to v.8.

I recently had problems with getting rid of the pro-trial version which just appeared after an update and I had NEVER agreed too. I have Avast v.7 (whose GUI I very much prefer) from a UK PC magazine cover disc so I decided to reinstall from that. I used Revo Uninstaller on the existing Avast installation and thought I'd got rid of it. Installed the more pleasing looking v.7 OK but on checking it I discovered all the shields were down and refused to be activated. I got an error message saying certain key files couldn't be initialised.

Using my knowledge from previous Avast troubles I used the repair tool (and why isn't that and an uninstall option provided as part of the Start Menu Avast shortcut like most programs?) and that fixed it. But when I relaunched Avast Free, now restored and working 100% I discovered that it had reverted back to v.8. Clearly the Revo uninstall had left something of the old installation behind.

Apparently to get rid of it completely you need the special Avast provided unistaller tool. I was so happy getting rid of the pro-trial version I didn't want to stuff things up again so I left it at that.

I hate software that is difficult to uninstall with a passion.

Point is reverting back to an older Avast version isn't as simple as it might seem.