Author Topic: Unable to Re-register Avast  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Bill clarke

Unable to Re-register Avast
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »

Hi all, newbie here,

My subscription ran out 04-08-13, however I didn't notice it.

Current status shows registered, but with no days remaning on the bar.

I attempted to re register, howver I get the following: "The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error"

I have logged a ticket re this but as I have no idea when they might get back to me I thought I might ask here.

I'm also unable to remove Avast via the add delete program, when I uncheck the box marked Enable Avast self defence module, and hit ok, it appears to recheck itself.

I followed the instructions on this type of error in the knowledge base, but this didn't help.

Thanks in advance.

Bill.

guestja

Re: Unable to Re-register Avast
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
You didn't mention what version of Avast you were using. The first thing you should try is to follow these steps copied from another post:

2.) Download and save to your desktop  aswclear.exe

3.) Download and save a fresh copy of Avast!.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

4.) Open Avast! > Settings > Troubleshooting > Uncheck " Enable Avast! self-defense module ".

5.) Uninstall Avast! normally through Control Panel > Programs & feature ( Vista, W7 ) or Add and remove programs ( XP ). Reboot. If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 6   

6.) Even if you were able to uninstall Avast! in step # 5, it is important to run aswclear.exe in safe mode for any Avast! you may have had before,e.g. v.6 o v.7, and then for v. 8. Reboot into normal mode after uninstall.

NOTE: aswclear has the ability to make your system go into Safe Mode. Just run it in normal mode and follow instructions.

7.) Reinstall fresh copy of Avast! and reboot.

NotarySojac

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
You didn't mention what version of Avast you were using. The first thing you should try is to follow these steps copied from another post:

2.) Download and save to your desktop  aswclear.exe

3.) Download and save a fresh copy of Avast!.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

4.) Open Avast! > Settings > Troubleshooting > Uncheck " Enable Avast! self-defense module ".

5.) Uninstall Avast! normally through Control Panel > Programs & feature ( Vista, W7 ) or Add and remove programs ( XP ). Reboot. If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 6   

6.) Even if you were able to uninstall Avast! in step # 5, it is important to run aswclear.exe in safe mode for any Avast! you may have had before,e.g. v.6 o v.7, and then for v. 8. Reboot into normal mode after uninstall.

NOTE: aswclear has the ability to make your system go into Safe Mode. Just run it in normal mode and follow instructions.

7.) Reinstall fresh copy of Avast! and reboot.

My WinXP-sp3 laptop also suddenly started to throw this "The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error." roadblock this morning when I try to re-register, since it's been another year. Avast had recently updated itself to v8.0. I'll try the routine you posted and let you know if that resolves it.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
There is no need to disable the self protection module since the new uninstall utility will prompt the user to reboot into safe mode.
All a user needs to do is "click".  :)

1) download and save http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
2) download and save http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
3) run uninstall utility from step #1 (you will be prompted to reboot into safe mode, do so)
4) reboot into normal mode
5) install from step#2
6) reboot and register  8)

edit: it is best to uninstall from safe mode and "not" normal mode.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:29:06 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.