Author Topic: Avast problem since update  (Read 5097 times)

mammie

Avast problem since update
« on: March 16, 2005, 10:20:45 AM »
I just received update this early morning, Wed Mar 16 05, I have not been able to open my mail or web pages since this download, this is acting just as Norton did when I bought it, I have to disable the program in order to receive all the above I have mentioned, I got a refund from Norton because of this problem, right now I have Avast disabled so I can send this to whoever can help me with this problem.
PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU
J Widdoss

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast problem since update
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »
Please Help us to Help you In order to help fully we need more information....
What OS are you using? is it up to date?
What update, program or iAVS, if program have you rebooted since?
What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0436-4 (see about avast!)
What is your email program?
What is your firewall? does it allow ashWebSv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe access to the internet?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

techie101

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:19:51 AM »
mammie,

If the problem arose after the update, then it probably was caused by a file corruption.
First, check the settings of your email client to make sure that the userid name is still in the correct format.....username#isp.com or whatever for pop and smtp settings.

Secondly, the updated version of Avast has the Web Shield included.  Open up the On Access Protection Panel and then click on the Web shield icon on the left.  Set the slider to normal and then open up the "Customize tab"  Under the Basic tab, I want you to uncheck Enable Web Shield.
Try your email and web surfing again.  Let me know if this allows you access.

Also, your firewall can prevent such access by denying your email client access to your ISP server, and also prevent you from surfing.

mammie

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:34:39 AM »
Thank You very much for the help, when I stopped the web shield, I no longer had the problem.
Mammie

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:39:35 PM »
We still know nothing about your system, this helps us to help you.

Now that you have shown you can browse without web shield enabled it is probably pointing to your firewall blocking the web shield from doing its job and also possibly the mail protection as well (my last question above).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:45:09 PM »
We still know nothing about your system, this helps us to help you.

Now that you have shown you can browse without web shield enabled it is probably pointing to your firewall blocking the web shield from doing its job and also possibly the mail protection as well (my last question above).

Disabling the provider you're not solving the problem... just pretending it does not exist.
A lot of nowadays malwares take advantage of various exploits and bugs of the browsers, especially Internet Explorer.
Letting avast scanning the HTTP streams through WebShield is the only way to prevent the infection.
Just setting the Standard Shield to High sensitivity (resident filesystem scanner) won't solve... It will be too late.
The best things in life are free.

mammie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 09:15:19 AM »
Answers for your information:
Using Windows XP
Avast version and VPS file: Version 4.6, file 0512-0
EMail program: Outlook Express
Firewall: Microsoft Internet Connection Firewall, do not know about the ashWebSv.exe or ashMaiSv.exe

For some reason or other, Everything is working as it should and I did nothing to improve it, unless rebooting took care of the problem.

Thank you for everything and May God Bless You and yours on this special Easter Holiday.  Mammie