Author Topic: missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006  (Read 21913 times)

brinuk

Re: missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »
I have exactly the same problem. After a boot the taskbar icon is sometimes there and sometimes not. I have installed avast three times but no change. I have done three restarts at 15 minute intervals but no change.
The desktop icon when double clicked does nothing.

miscreant

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
add me to the club.This is getting really annoying.I'm losing faith in this build.

asertori

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
I have the same problem, i don´t know how many times i have install and uninstall with avastclear utility in safe mode and the problem persists, sometimes appears the icon (few times) and the most times the icon don´t appears. Somebody can help us?

drummerman

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
In order to not fall into the trap of only posting here when problems occur, may I say that at present, after the latest update 9.0.2007, things seem to run ok.

I hope it will stay this way  :)

Thanks AVAST.

vegetarianmeatloaf

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
In order to not fall into the trap of only posting here when problems occur, may I say that at present, after the latest update 9.0.2007, things seem to run ok.
Did you have to uninstall/reinstall with the latest version installer? My taskbar / system tray icon has been MIA ever since since avast auto-updated to v.9. I am still unable to access avast's UI to configure it due to this.

Foxfan100

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »

I hope it will stay this way  :)

Thanks AVAST.

Ditto.

drummerman

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
Did you have to uninstall/reinstall with the latest version installer? My taskbar / system tray icon has been MIA ever since since avast auto-updated to v.9. I am still unable to access avast's UI to configure it due to this.

I did re-install clean with the previous version, prior to the latest update.

I've installed the current version through the GUI.

regards

vegetarianmeatloaf

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
The missing taskbar / system tray icon bug seems to have been fixed. I have experienced this bug ever since avast auto updated to v9 from v8. What I did was download and then install (I didn't uninstall anything) the latest avast installer (currently v.9.0.2007). Two restarts later - and the system tray icon is still here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:15:56 AM by vegetarianmeatloaf »

Wurlitzer

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
Thanks to the last "upgrade" (on a paid for not free account) this laptop is now as slow as the old XP I replaced for being too slow.

Avast version: 2014.9.0.2006
Win 7 64 bit now takes 3-4 minutes to boot (are we still in 1980 or is this 2013 and we still tolerate long boot times?)

Prior to the last "update" a 45 second boot sequence was normal.

The booting sequence after entering my password now instead of the screen showing my desktop image remains black for over a minute then the desktop Icons appear but then in a few seconds they all turn white and slowly populate back one by one by one...

I have read on other sites where Windows Essentials are all anyone needs and is much faster.

Avast has and I stress has been great but I am seriously considering just deleting it even though it is paid for.

Computers are supposed to work for us and not the other way around. When I write a program I make sure it works for the customer and they don't have to jump through hoops, uninstalling, clicking their heals 3 times then re-installing.

I have already placed in manual every service which is not absolutely needed at boot.

I have stopped Win 7 "updates" as the last one destroyed every file association for thousands of MS Office Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint documents so I no longer trust ANY automatic update.

I should not have allowed AVAST to update this machine and make it worse than Win 98.

Foxfan100

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »
I've been having a similar problem on Win 7 64-bit Ultimate, with the system hanging and the desktop icons failing to populate. I had to crash the system with the power button and go through Safe Boot, Chkdsk and the rest of it. This is on a machine with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM. Avast is a paid-for Internet Security V9.

I've also been getting a number of service timeout errors (7011 etc.), where the services cannot communicate with the Service Control Manager inside the 30ms limits. These happened occasionally, but have now increased in number. I should add that, although I have a number of services and jobs running on startup, all that are not needed are set to Manual or Disabled. Although non-fatal, I don't like to see a new set of errors in the logs when previously they were clean. It seems that the timeout errors are definitely connected with the time and resource that Avast grabs, which then chokes off other services from starting in a timely fashion.

Any unnecessary programs in the Task Scheduler are disabled, with the exception of Avast Emergency Update, which is set to run at Logon i.e. at Startup. I don't know whether this is necessary or desirable, and why it cannot be run at a point after the system is fully up and running. I'll try to find out.

A workaround for the hanging problem seems to be to set Avast services to load after other system services, although this isn't ideal. I'm still getting timeout errors, so I suppose the only way to mitigate these is to edit the Registry to change the ServicesPipeTimeout entry to something more than 30ms. Even so, the bootup is now 3 minutes or so; more than before.

My style of working means that I'm not exceptionally bothered if the system doesn't boot up like lightning, but I do like it to get running properly in due course, without hangs and errors.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
Avast 2014 - 9.0.2008 was released earlier this afternoon. Whilst I don't know if that resolves this issue or not it may be worth checking. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=139606.msg1018608#msg1018608 for more information and download links.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wurlitzer

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
Avast 2014 - 9.0.2008 was released earlier this afternoon. Whilst I don't know if that resolves this issue or not it may be worth checking. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=139606.msg1018608#msg1018608 for more information and download links.
===============================================================================
Well that just made matters worse! Thanks AVAST

Not only is boot still very slow and the desktop icon first fully populate then turn white then slowly re-populate about 1 every 1-5 seconds but now the Firewall is not enabled and no reason given other than "Unable to start Firewall"

HP Pavilion G series, Win 7 Pro