Author Topic: vrdb data base  (Read 3010 times)

haggis

vrdb data base
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:50:56 PM »

Hi i am a new user of avast and could someone please let me know how to find the vrdb data base and how would you use it to restore a program

thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: vrdb data base
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:03:58 PM »
Basically you can't use it as some form of backup system, it can only be used within avast to repair virus infected files, typically exe, dll and system files, etc.

From avast help file.
VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRBD is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If any file is infected by a virus, it is possible to repair it, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

SETTINGS

The settings of VRBD can be changed by clicking on the icon in the system tray with the right mouse button. There are three options:

Generate VRDB when computer is idle. avast! will create its database only when the computer is idle, i.e. when it is not being used.
Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running. avast! will create its database during the time screen-saver is running. It may be any screen-saver, not only the one included in avast!
Disable VRDB generation. avast! will neither create, nor update the database. If you select this option, it will not be possible to repair virus infected files in the future!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:33:29 AM »
If you want/need, browse 'FAQ' on my signature and you'll find more information about VRDB  :)
Welcome to forums  8)
The best things in life are free.

haggis

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:38:14 AM »
Thanks for your help David R and also thanks Technical i found your site real helpful

Thanks Haggis a real scottish dish?