Author Topic: SafeZone and Browser Fingerprinting  (Read 2160 times)

tr888

SafeZone and Browser Fingerprinting
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
I don't have SafeZone but am considering it.  If you have SafeZone installed, what are the results when you visit https://panopticlick.eff.org/ and run the Test Me process?  This is not a malicious site but is part of the Electronic Frontiers Foundation. It shows how your browser reveals information that can possibly uniquely identify you. For example, when I use a browser that I've used for almost 5 years, my browser plug-ins and installed system fonts list uniquely identify me as 1 in nearly 3 million. I'm curious about what SafeZone reveals for those two pieces of information.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: SafeZone and Browser Fingerprinting
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »
I had the same test result - 1 in nearly 3 million.
I tried to trick them with SafeIP and my browser (Palemoon)
was masked as Chrome but it didn't work.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »
I don't have SafeZone but am considering it.  If you have SafeZone installed, what are the results when you visit https://panopticlick.eff.org/ and run the Test Me process?  This is not a malicious site but is part of the Electronic Frontiers Foundation. It shows how your browser reveals information that can possibly uniquely identify you. For example, when I use a browser that I've used for almost 5 years, my browser plug-ins and installed system fonts list uniquely identify me as 1 in nearly 3 million. I'm curious about what SafeZone reveals for those two pieces of information.

You could download and install a "trial version" of Avast PRO, AIS or Premier version and give it a whirl; along with the many other great security features. ;)

tr888

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Before I install it, I would like to know if Avast SafeZone or other Avast features protect a web surfer's anonymity by doing things to stymie browser fingerprinting algorithms that rely upon the installed fonts and installed plugins as the main individuating characteristics.  Does Avast have ways to supply plain-vanilla lists that would allow a web-surfer to "blend in with the herd"?

tr888

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:52:07 PM »
I had the same test result - 1 in nearly 3 million.
I tried to trick them with SafeIP and my browser (Palemoon)
was masked as Chrome but it didn't work.

Thanks for the info and for taking the time to test.