Author Topic: Phone stolen - no SIM change updates. Has avast! been removed??  (Read 3815 times)

mph140

Hi,

My phone was stolen on Friday and I have been checking my avast! account regularly to see if anything comes up as to its location. However, nothing has been updated for over 48 hours now. All commands I send time out and I have not been informed of any SIM changes. My phone is rooted so if they tried to restore the phone, avast! should continue to function, no? The only conclusion I can think of is that the phone is just switched off. I have obviously tried calling it and it keeps going to voicemail. I am going to the police today to report the theft in case the phone comes online again so it can be recovered. I do not want to block the IMEI because then this would become an impossible task unless the thief has wifi.

Does anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks  :)

mph140

Re: Phone stolen - no SIM change updates. Has avast! been removed??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »
I forgot to add that yes, I have have enabled the hard reset protection. The required software is written on the NAND.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »
Hi,

the device is probably turned off.

Filip

mph140

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »
I realise that.

However, I have still not received anything as to where it is still. Is it possible Avast has been removed somehow? How could that have happened if USB debugging is disabled?

By the way, I have a suggestion for future updates - disable the power button so that phones with non-removable batteries cannot be turned off at all :).

MikeRD03

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »
This option would be completely useless. As a thief all I would have to do is to put the phone into a metal box and leave it there for one day, ok. ;-) But this would warn a thief that there is an anti theft protection active. The best solution is a thief did not notice anything at all - and rooted installation is obligatory.

In case u have one, the thief would have to flash a complete new ROM onto your device in order to disable AT. A professional thief will know that. ;-)

Mike

Tobias56

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:47:11 PM »
I think most thieves won't even play with the cellphone. So except if you lock it the thief won't notice ATT. They usually try to resell it as soon as possible. You should get news once your phone has been sold.