Author Topic: Avast 8: Software Updater how to permanent disable this function?  (Read 47385 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 8: Software Updater how to permanent disable this function?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »
Then click the More Details for that program, this expands the window and have the avast! Software Updater 'Ignore' it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
why is everyone so against being told about updates to their programs?
I'm not against it, quite the contrary.  But I've got Secunia PSI, compared to which that particular avast feature is little more than a toy and I therefore uninstalled it.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

whcressall

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »

Because unfortunately  software updates are buggy. They frequently break functionality or remove components you need or introduce incompatibilities with plugins, linked programs, databases etc...

If you run a business with short turnaround like mine (I edit video) you cannot risk updating ANY software during a production cycle. Everything must remain static from  project start to delivery. I schedule updates and beta testing during downtime. I never update more than one suite at a time. I cannot tell you the number of times Adobe has posted patches that broke filter or plugin compatibility.

I don't need any form of auto update. Security typically involves diligence. Avast also helps :)

Azmo

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
Next version of Software Updater (shipped with Avast R2 release in a couple of weeks) will have an option in Settings which will allow disabling Software Updater permanently (persistent).

Any news or updates regarding this?

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »

I, for one, find it a massive nuisance, as I have several programs that I simply need to be on their older versions, for objective reasons.
I have most other software on autoupdate anyway, if the software has the feature. Or at least automatic check.

You could always just check off "Ignore Program" in the SoftwareUpdtaer . .  .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

hrpskyrunner

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »
To remove the software updater I did the following,
Goto add programs and features in window 7
select the avast program
right click and click on the uninstall/change
select change
click on next
in components, middle column take check mark out of box for software updater
click on next

jobby

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »
Hi,

I'm running a very old machine with Windows XP, so the last thing I need is for Avast to keep checking whether my programs need updating or not. It slows the pc down, or contributes to slowing it down.

Can anyone tell me how to disable this? I don't have "Programs and Features" in Control Panel on XP.

Thanks

J

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
But you have add remove programs and that is the same thing but in XP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jobby

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 07:48:07 AM »
Ah ok thanks, didn't realise it was so simple...
Is there anything else that can be turned off in Avast too help an old machine run more smoothly without compromising security?
Cheers!
J

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »
Sorry I can't answer that question as A) I don't know what you have installed in avast and B) what your requirements are, e.g. programs that you use and shields you would need for those. But this is something that should be in its own new topic as it isn't related to the original topic. There you can answer A & B in that new topic.

han2

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I tried to disable 'Software Updater' using add/remove program and uncheck the Software Updater in the Avast Component Selection Menu.
After I rebooted, the 'Software Updater' disappeared from my Avast Interface.

However, somehow my computer is still trying to download the programs updates that were being downloaded by 'Software Updater'. I noticed this when my internet became slower for browsing and I saw that there was an incoming traffic from the internet (ie. I was downloading something that I didn't know). I checked my other programs and none were downloading anything from the internet.

When I opened the 'Web Shield' on the Avast Interface, the last web pages scanned were from Apple (for iTunes+Quicktime), Macromedia (for Adobe Flash) and the other programs. And the 'Web Shield' kept updating scanned pages from those websites

Does anyone experience the same problem? If anyone knows the solution for this, please let me know, I will really appreciate any solutions.
My internet connection is rather slow so now it becomes really difficult for browsing.

neotruth

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
I just want to know if uninstalling Avast is as easy as just using the Windows 7 Uninstall control panel, or should I use an uninstaller from Avast?

This Software Updater thing just made me an Avast hater. I am not going to jump through hoops to turn this off. If there is no "off" button, that STAYS off, then this software just became a problem.

Big time.

How do I get rid of it safely? Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »
It really isn't such a big deal, if you are going to use the normal add remove programs/programs and features to uninstall avast, instead of clicking uninstall click change and uncheck the option for the software updater, job done.