Author Topic: URGENT! Cannot update, incorrectly says my license expired  (Read 3921 times)

tmannis

URGENT! Cannot update, incorrectly says my license expired
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:34:47 AM »
I CANNOT UPDATE AVAST SOFTWARE! Earlier today Avast (free version 8.0.1483) said that my license would expire in 234 days. However, after doing a boot time scan, I notice some odd things. First, nothing was shown in the boot log. Second, when I tried to update virus definitions, it stopped and said that "The license for this product is invalid or expired." Then I noticed that it also said "Trial period not activated." What the heck?!? To add to the confusion, when I click on "Registration," it say that "Your current registration will expire in 10 days." WELL, WHICH IS IT?  Good for 234 more days, or good for only 10 more days, or already expired? HELP!!!

iroc9555

Re: URGENT! Cannot update, incorrectly says my license expired
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:49:48 AM »
tmannis welcome to Avast! forums.

Just install from scratch:

1.) Very important to remove all remains of other AVs installed before Avast. Use this site to execute uninstall utilities for other AVs.

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

2.) Download and save to your desktop aswclear.exe

3.) Download and save a fresh copy of Avast!.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

4.) Open Avast! > Settings > Troubleshooting > Uncheck " Enable Avast! self-defense module ".

5.) Uninstall Avast! normally through Control Panel > Programs & feature ( Vista, W7 ) or Add and remove programs ( XP ). Reboot. If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 6   

6.) Even if you were able to uninstall Avast! in step # 5, it is important to run aswclear.exe in safe mode for any Avast! you may have had before,e.g. v.6 o v.7, and then for v. 8. Reboot into normal mode after uninstall.

NOTE: aswclear has the ability to make your system go into Safe Mode. Just run it in normal mode and follow instructions.

7.) Reinstall fresh copy of Avast! and reboot.

Be aware. Avast! will offer Chrome during installment. Remember to opt-out if you do not want it.

Offline Bill clarke

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
I have a similar problem, but when I tried to uncheck the the enable Avast self defence module, it re checks itself after I say ok.

urlnts

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »
Same problem here,HELP???Version 8.0.1483,Registration ok,320 days remaining?

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
Bill clarke and  urlnts.

Did you follow my instructions ? I said in step # 5: " ...  If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 6 ". Just apply aswclear. exe in safe mode to uninstall Avast!.

gregs243

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
Hi, I am having the same problems with avast free every week it becomes avast pro and tells me my registration has ended and program will not update.It also tells me that my trail period has not been activated It also tells me that my system is secure and definitions are up to date when they havnt been updated for 3 days!! I have sent in a support ticket and was told to do a cleen install Which I did after a week the same thing happened suddenly its pro again.Another clean install works for a week and then its pro again!I have not used system restore at all .Ive tried submiting another support ticket but now just get a error message saying it wasnt recieved am I supposed to reinstall avast every week Im running XP home SP3
regards greg