Author Topic: which to install first  (Read 7209 times)

MarieJoe

which to install first
« on: March 24, 2005, 11:25:05 PM »
I'm finally get rid of Norton.
I will be installing ZA Pro (new) as my firewall and Avast! Home as my AV.
Which should I install first?  Does it matter?

Should I completely uninstall NAV and norton firewall before I do any installing?  Should I turn on the XP firewall in the interim?

I am running XP/SP2

Is there anythng else speical I need to know?
I use Opera, Avant/IE6 and Firefox...not all at once, of course :D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: which to install first
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 11:32:32 PM »
From my limited experience and reading on these forums one of the first things you should do is get the norton uninstall tool from their web site to remove all the garbage a normal uninstall leaves behind.  Then when I do a fresh install I allways load zone alarm first and then Avast because Avast will always try to get an update when you install it plus you can start training zone alarm straight away. No requirement to turn on xp firewall if you install ZA before going on line.  As a ZAPro user ensure that the privacy settings are to off or you may get conflicts with webshield, not that I found any diffrerence in popups etc with the privacy on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 11:35:59 PM by essexboy »

sded

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 11:37:59 PM »
You should uninstall Norton completely before installing anything else.  You may need a special uninstaller from the Norton site if the usual uninstall has problems.  If I remember correctly, avast! won't even install completely if it finds Norton present.  Why ZAP if you just need a firewall?  Are you also behind a NAT router?  ZAF, Sygate PF, Kerio PF, Outpost, others have all the firewall functions you need for free.  What ZAP vs ZAF gets you is mostly privacy stuff that is redundant with what you are already getting in Opera and Avant.   I would install the firewall first, plug in the internet, then install the antivirus.  Just don't download anything interesting until you are finished and you should be fine.

kpfuser

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:18:14 AM »
Uninstalling Norton antivirus can be very tedious and involved. You can find detailed removal instructions in Symantec's website. Choose the ones that apply to your case, i.e., those that match your particular antivirus product (stand-alone NAV, Norton SystemWorks, Norton Internet Security, etc.) and its year/version. Manual registry cleanup will be most probably needed. The utility RegCompress that is included in the KMCS-DSS suite of utilities (essentially freeware) obtainable from www.kmcsonline.com can remove automatically almost all registry entries that Symantec recommends that you should remove manually.

Finally, I recommend that you clean-boot your system before installing avast. Instruction for this can be also found in Symantec's website.

MarieJoe

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 03:15:28 AM »
Why ZAP if you just need a firewall?  Are you also behind a NAT router? 
Mostly, I wanted to be able to installl from a CD.  I've had bad experience downloading a firewall from the net.  Superstition mostly. ;)
   I would install the firewall first, plug in the internet, then install the antivirus.  Just don't download anything interesting until you are finished and you should be fine.
I have a cable internet connection.
Are you saying I should disconnect the modem until the firewall is installed?
No worries, I won't be doing anything fancy until I'm sue what is going on.

I am assuming all programs should be off?  What about my printer, should I unplug it?   (sorry for all the questions, but I really want to avoid problems!)

Thanks again.

MarieJoe

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 03:20:27 AM »
Uninstalling Norton antivirus can be very tedious and involved.
From my previous experience when Norton went bad, that is putting it mildly.
Thanks for the RegCompress info...much obliged.

MarieJoe

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 03:21:32 AM »
As a ZAPro user ensure that the privacy settings are to off or you may get conflicts with webshield, not that I found any diffrerence in popups etc with the privacy on.
I had read that somewhere before, thanks for the reminder.

sded

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 03:25:19 AM »
If you will have ZAP on a CD, why not disconnect from the internet until it is installed?  Just disconnect the modem cable from your computer.  If you are worried about downloading a firewall, probably should be worried about being connected to the internet without one. ;)  .  No problem with things like printers; just having your IP address visible and vulnerable to the internet is not a good idea.

MarieJoe

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:40:39 AM »
Thanks for that.  I will disconnect the cable line.

One last question...I hope.
Can I uninstall all the Norton crap through the add/remove feature (or, I also have MyUninstaller installed on my PC)?
Or do I have to do it the hard way...
and then run RegCompress?
I also see I have the manual for the NAV, which tells to uninstall Live Update and one or two ther things. *Sigh*

You guys are great.
I found it pays to do a little research before you wildly start subtracting and adding major components. ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 03:42:20 AM by MarieJoe »

sded

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 03:56:27 AM »
Try removing it with the normal add/ remove first.  The other stuff is for people who have problems-I had none when I uninstalled Norton.  Uninstall live update and anything else that smells like Symantec, most of which is probably listed in the manual.  Delete Symantec common folders, look for more symantec folders in documents and settings and delete them too.  Get rid of everything that smells like Symantec-lots of folders in lots of places.  But the add/remove of their various programs  worked fine for me, and the removal of dead folders was a leisurely activity. 

kpfuser

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 09:36:48 AM »
Uninstall NAV using Add/Remove Programs first. Reboot

Run the RnavXXXX.exe utility (download from Symantec) that applies to your case (XXXX is the year of your NAV version) as per the accompanying instructions. Reboot.

Run RegCompress. Reboot

Run Regedit. Search for 'Symantec.' You will probably find a single occurrence (a folder). Delete it.

Delete files and folders from C as per previous post.

Fast (oops, you should have done it already!), pray, promise to lead a clean life, and all should be well.

MarieJoe

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »
Finally, I recommend that you clean-boot your system before installing avast. Instruction for this can be also found in Symantec's website.
Thanks for all your helpful info in the previous post :)

RE:  clean-boot before installing AVAST!:
Is that...welll, since I am guessing, I'll just ask,
what is a clean-boot?      And how important is it?

kpfuser

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 11:04:11 PM »
It is booting up with a minimum of software, drivers, etc., loaded so as to avoid potential software conflicts during installation. Check out Symantec or Microsoft to see how to do it for your version of Windows. It might be an overkill but better safe than sorry.

MarieJoe

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 12:19:57 AM »
That's kinda what I thought it was, that F8 key thing/
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

I think I'm good to go...thanks to all.

MarieJoe

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 08:45:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone.
I am now the proud owner of succefully installed Avast! (free) and ZoneALarm 5 Pro.