Author Topic: Google Drive piggyback a little bit too evasive  (Read 9420 times)

Alievitan

Google Drive piggyback a little bit too evasive
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
I just updated to the new avast version via the GUI, and I noticed that after restarting Avast shows a finish update screen, and google drive is checked in by default.   I almost clicked finish without unchecking it, b/c in the past I believe the finish update setup screen after a successful updates did not try to piggyback any software.  Also I think this is the first time I seen a finish update screen try to do something like that. 

I understand, the economic necessity of Google Drive with first time Avast installations, but isn't this a little bit too much trying to piggyback google drive via the finish update screen?  Are we supposed to watch out for that now every time Avast updates?  I just find it mildly ironic, how vigilant I have to be with my security software to make sure it doesn't do something that I don't want it to do.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Google Drive piggyback a little bit too evasive
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »
I suppose you mean Google Chrome, the browser, and not Google Drive, the online storage.
The best things in life are free.

Alievitan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »
Google Drive not google chrome

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
avast! has nothing to do with Google Drive.
You've said:
Avast shows a finish update screen, and google drive is checked in by default.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
I believe Google Drive is also offered in some cases.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
In what situations? When Chrome is already installed? I don't have either and i always get Google Chrome offer...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
I don't know that, sorry. Could be when the Chrome is already installed, could be region/language-dependent, could be a random spread... I can imagine various scenarios.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
The last time I installed avast with Google Chrome already installed, avast offered Google Drive.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:57:41 PM by Charyb »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »
Google Drive is bringing me problems on both Windows 8 and 7. Unable to install, crashes...

Alievitan

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »
US region, Chrome is already installed, so Avast prompts for Google Drive instead.  I just updated two machines, and after the restart to finish the update, the Avast displays a screen saying something like Avast has updated successfully and clicking on the "finish" button is the only way to get rid of that screen. That finish screen also has a option to install Google Drive which is by checked by default lower left of the screen. 

Google Drive also piggybacks when you do a fresh install, but I don't have any reservation about that.  It is the scenario I described in my first post that I have reservations about.  This is also the first time I seen Avast or any other program do something like this (probably there are programs out there but I haven't run into them yet and I hold Avast to a higher standard), the update finish screen in the past was just a notification that everything updated successfully and you usually don't think twice but clicking finish to get past the screen. 

In context Avast has put out 3 updates since March.  I don't think that update frequency is a typical of avast, but you can see how having to check to make sure Avast doesn't piggyback something every single time there is a update may seem to be excessive.  Also the fact of trying to piggyback via the update successful screen is irksome b/c typically that is when people are are lot less vigilant or pay less attention.   

Johnny4745

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »

That finish screen also has a option to install Google Drive which is by checked by default lower left of the screen. 

I would call that sneaky.  It should unchecked by default.

It amazes me that anyone would store personal information on a hard drive that belongs to Google.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
It should unchecked by default.
This has been the target of many complaints.
The general consensus is any thing other than the primary
software should be opt-in and "not" opt-out.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Davy

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »
Concur with  Para-Noid

Avast knows about the problem.... but does nothing about it! As I understand it's a bug, the window with the boxes on is only displayed momentarily for a split second, it's gone before you even see it, it had supposed to have been fixed.

You'll see the screen just prior to pressing the install button.

It appears with Avast  ignoring the problem is deliberately conning people and forcing the installation, what get's folks annoyed is there is not a word of this in the sticky section - why not Avast it IS a problem, as you can surely see!

For goodness sake get it sorted once and for all - if you have no intentions of doing so then have the guts to say.

You are about to lose a customer, because I'm waiting to do a Avast reinstall because I get a BSOD only on doing boot scan, I will repeat only on doing a boot scan.

Right now I am using  NOD32 as an alternative AV, I still have Avast on the BU drives.

Dave

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
With all due respect, the Google Drive screen is displayed for more than a few seconds. To move past the screen requires
user action, it does not go away on its own. The screen is quite easy to see.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Alievitan

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
Bump, it came back with the latest update....two times already in a week a bit much?  Every times there a version update even minor ones like 8.0.1489.  Not the type of a behavior you expect from a AV company.  Including it during the installation process isn't enough, you have to include it also when you are done or have a update?