Author Topic: problem with web shield and slipstream  (Read 12958 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: problem with web shield and slipstream
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 02:37:09 AM »
Lukor,
Unless you have any more ideas I guess I will have to shut off webshield. I get too much benefit from slipstream to remove it. I will re-open the topic again after webshield has been out for awhile. Thank you for your time and responses.

Sorry Jwa,
I don't really have any other clue for you right now. What I don't understand is why the Web Shield is not working even if you direct the connection to it explicitly by setting Firefox proxy to localhost:12080. This way, it can either work and scan the content or it might no be working - but in this case you would not be able to browse! Also it does not agree with my experience with SlipStream on the test installation - where specifying localhost in Proxy exclusion list in SlipStream configuration helpedĀ  :-[

Any idea? Don't you have yet another similar application running?

lukor

guestja

Re: problem with web shield and slipstream
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2005, 02:46:23 AM »
lukor,  Did you do your tests with firefox? I have nothing else - I just reformated. I retried everything again.
I just noticed something in another post - when I set the webshield slield slider to custom to change settings and then click Ok, If I then return to the webshield page - the slider is back at the "high" postion. Does this mean that any custom settings I enterd are not active?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 03:00:58 AM by jwa »

guestja

Re: problem with web shield and slipstream - resolved
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 04:54:12 AM »
Lukor,

I wanted to get back to you to let you know that webshield is now working. I am very pleased because I appreciate the protection it provides. Unfortunately,  I can not verify exactly what caused it to be working. I removed zone alarm 5.5 and Avast then installed zone alarm 4.5 and re-installed avast. The settings I now have are: "manual proxy settings"  localhost 5400 for my connection settings and in slipstream I set the proxy exclusion for localhost as you directed.

Thank you again for your effort. It was your certainty that it should be working that caused me to continue trying things until it did.