Author Topic: Firefox Do-Search Hijack  (Read 3839 times)

sdculp

Firefox Do-Search Hijack
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
Windows XP Home, Sp 3 with all updates.

Firefox 25.0.1 has been hijacked by Do Search.  Each time I open the browser, the Do Search tab is there.  I can work around the problem by clicking on the little house icon which restores my desired default tabs.  I have been unsuccessful in removing the Do Search program.

Here is what I have tried:

Check tools-extensions and plugins.  Nothing
Check add/remove programs.  Nothing
Run Malwarebytes.  Removed items
Run AdAware.  Removed items
Avast is installed and running.
Uninstall and reinstall Firefox.  No help
Search registry for do-search and do search.  Removed item
Searched c: for do-search and do search.  Removed item.
Reset the browser.

I would appreciate your help in removing do-search.

Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Firefox Do-Search Hijack
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
was Malwarebytes updated before you run it?
if not, do so and run quick scan...make sure everything detected is marked for removal and click remove selected

then run OTL   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

attach all logs

sdculp

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
I made sure I had the latest version of Malwarebytes.  I ran the complete scan yesterday and removed many files.  I ran the quick scan today and got nothing.  I ran the complete scan today and got 5 more which I removed.  Didn't change the Firefox problem.

What I don't understand is why removing Firefox with add/remove programs and then reinstalling it didn't get rid of the do-search.com tab.  Is it because add/remove programs sometimes leaves things behind?  Maybe I should try it again with Revo Uninstaller??

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
attach the requested OTL diagnostic log and a removal expert will fix it for you

with no log we cant help....

sdculp

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
It cost me 40 bucks, but it was well worth it.  I bought Spyhunter.  I normally don't do that sort of thing, but I had spent 2 full days chasing the problem and got tired of messing with it.  Spyhunter did a great job of fixing the problem and also located and fixed over 1000 other problems.  It's a 6 month subscription thing, but I can opt out, I guess.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
It cost me 40 bucks, but it was well worth it.
and we would have done it here for free.    ::)

why do you ask for help when you dont want it.   :o

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:58:04 PM by Pondus »

Seabhac

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:51:59 PM »
I dont understand, I would have thought that seeing as I paid for Avast and I ran a full scan that it would solve this kind of problem. I downloaded Trojan Killer and it found loads os stuff that Avast didnt and do-search is still there. Am I missing something?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »
I dont understand, I would have thought that seeing as I paid for Avast and I ran a full scan that it would solve this kind of problem. I downloaded Trojan Killer and it found loads os stuff that Avast didnt and do-search is still there. Am I missing something?
no security program have 100% detection...

what did trojan killer find? .... log

if you want help, follow the guide/link in my post above

sdculp

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
"why do you ask for help when you dont want it. "  is not at all a fair statement to make.  I depend on the forums for help and am really pleased when I am able to help someone.  What you don't seem to realize is how much time and frustration someone spends before they go to a forum to find help.  Sometimes the helpers get into areas which are difficult to follow and can get one into deep trouble if not done correctly.  This is where one has to look at the tradeoff between trying something and risking damage to the computer.  This is particularly true when trying to fix malware.  Some reported malware fixes can be really destructive--believe me, I know.

I really got to the end of my rope on this one.  Sometimes working with computer fixes can be sort of fun.  But I just got to the point where throwing money at the problem seemed to be the best way out.  It was a gamble, but for once I seem to have won.

Thanks again for all the responses.