Author Topic: Switching From Vista Back To XP  (Read 11433 times)

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Switching From Vista Back To XP
« on: May 05, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
So I was getting tired of Windows Vista and asked if I could format the family computer. After they said yes, I ditched the Vista OS and freshly installed XP Pro.

The new XP computer runs avast! 8 and is very fast compared to when it was running Windows Vista. It can actually have multiple background processes running at fast speeds, despite its minimal ram.

See attached for what I did to the computer.

~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Switching From Vista Back To XP
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
The new XP computer runs avast! 8 and is very fast compared to when it was running Windows Vista. It can actually have multiple background processes running at fast speeds, despite its minimal ram.

That's exactly why some of us still use it. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »
Hi !Donovan,

Understandable as that was exactlt what Windows did when going from Vista to Win8,

D
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
G'day !Donovan,

Keep in mind MS is going to end the Windows XP support on 8th of April 2014, if I were you I would switch from Vista to W8 and if you wait a bit longer MS is going to release W8.1 soon to to bring back the Start button a boot to desktop option as we always have from Windows 3.1 to W7 if anybody remember that far back ;) Is not a great idea to turn back the old software clock when it's going to run out soon, better grab W8 and install Classic Shell or wait until W8.1 when it's release that way you have the latest software and drivers for the long term.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:33:28 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
I don't understand going backwards to XP when you could have gained the same speed going forward to Windows 8 ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »
I don't understand going backwards to XP when you could have gained the same speed going forward to Windows 8 ???

We already had the XP disc. A free downgrade, I'd say.

Furthermore, I'm familiar with XP. It was my first OS.

~!Donovan

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »
And I love using avast! again. It has improved so much over the past few years! :)

~!Donovan

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
Personally, I would rather have switched to Win 7 but I completely understand the free aspect of what you did. I'm really not too worried about continuing to use XP after the end of service, I'm keeping it on my older laptop but I may just use it to play legacy games and not for any on line activity.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
This computer cannot run Windows 7, which is why we got Vista in the first place.

~!Donovan

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
Congrats on switching back to XP, !Donovan. I wouldn't worry too much about MS stopping support next year, either. I still have a Win 98 system online thanks to unofficial service packs and upgrades available through websites like msfn.org (check out the forums). And it hasn't been infected in the last 11 of it's 16 year life. :)

Dch48

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »
This computer cannot run Windows 7, which is why we got Vista in the first place.

~!Donovan
Are you sure? I have never known of a machine that could run Vista not being able to run 7. They're not that drastically different. Windows 7 is much closer and similar to Vista than it is to XP. It also will run faster than Vista on the same hardware. Having said that, a machine built to run Vista would run XP much faster.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
Congrats on switching back to XP, !Donovan. I wouldn't worry too much about MS stopping support next year, either. I still have a Win 98 system online thanks to unofficial service packs and upgrades available through websites like msfn.org (check out the forums). And it hasn't been infected in the last 11 of it's 16 year life. :)

There are some who will get infected no matter what OS they are using, a great deal of the protection of any system comes from the person between the computer and the chair.

A healthy dose of common sense and scepticism also come in very handy and if all else fails a robust backup and recovery strategy (hard drive imaging software).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »

~!Donovan
Are you sure? I have never known of a machine that could run Vista not being able to run 7. They're not that drastically different. Windows 7 is much closer and similar to Vista than it is to XP. It also will run faster than Vista on the same hardware. Having said that, a machine built to run Vista would run XP much faster.

Actually, this computer was "Designed for XP".

~!Donovan

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:02:49 AM »

~!Donovan

~!Donovan
Yes, but if it can run Vista, it should be able to run 7 which is faster and lighter than Vista.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:20:41 AM »

~!Donovan

~!Donovan
Yes, but if it can run Vista, it should be able to run 7 which is faster and lighter than Vista.

I don't know why, but it can't.

~!Donovan