Author Topic: ** Introducing ** - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.635)  (Read 64084 times)

Green Dragon

I have the same question

Is there any 4.6.635 or 4.6.639 version???

I use 4.6.623 now. How can update it?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Green Dragon

Update from  4.6.623

Download and run the following program will update to beta 4.6.635

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Green Dragon

Ok! I run it just now!

Thank's for your help!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Version 4.6.639 is still beta.
As for the changes - they were only small, related to handling of some packers. Specifically, I fixed the ZOO archive support (which seems to have been broken for quite some time).

lee16

anges - they were only small, related to handling of some packers. Specifically, I fixed the ZOO archive support (which seems to have been broken for quite some time).

Igor,

A little of topic, if we have archives that avast does not currently support, is there somewere we can send them so they can be added?

Thanks

--lee

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I don't think that is necessary. I know there are hundreds of archive formats that avast! doesn't support, and probably never will. It is certainly useful to handle the most common formats, but it's probably not worth spending time on adding every rare archive (not speaking of the negative effects, such as slowing down the scanning, taking more memory, etc). Besides, submitting a file of unsupported format doesn't really tell us how to unpack it (unless you submit a detailed format description as well ;D).

Of course, you may post a suggestion of what format you would like to see, if you wish.

lee16

I don't think that is necessary. I know there are hundreds of archive formats that avast! doesn't support, and probably never will. It is certainly useful to handle the most common formats, but it's probably not worth spending time on adding every rare archive (not speaking of the negative effects, such as slowing down the scanning, taking more memory, etc). Besides, submitting a file of unsupported format doesn't really tell us how to unpack it (unless you submit a detailed format description as well  ;D).

OK, fair enough.

Of course, you may post a suggestion of what format you would like to see, if you wish.

Igor, I have a .exe file with same malware inside it which i downloaded (says its a screensaver  >:(), but avast doesn't support the file format (this is why i asked if there is somewhere i can send an unsupported file format), so have you any ideas on how to go about identifying the file format, i tried the jotti scanner but it could identify the packer/format of the file.

Thanks

--lee

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
It depends on whether it's just an executable packer, or an installer.
For executable packers, I recommend PEiD tool. For installers, I'm not sure... TrID maybe.

lee16

Hi igor, it was a installer,

'TRID' says its "Win32 Executable Generic", so is there anyway this format can be added?

--lee

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I'm afraid this message means that the actual format was not recognized (if it was a well-known installer at all).
In any case, I would say... "not at the moment".

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
With this beta I've to set my browser to use the proxy (localhost:12080) if I want to also use Ad Muncher :(

In the stable version I don't need this...
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline xistenz

• Poster
Is there a date on which the beta will become final?

Churchmouse

Green Dragon

Update from  4.6.623

Download and run the following program will update to beta 4.6.635

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe
------------------------------

For all practical intents and purposes, I'm a "newbie" when it comes to this technical stuff about Avast (or any other resident-memory software)... Do you have to uninstall your present version of Avast! before running this file?  I have no experience with beta releases, as I tend to steer clear of them (knowing they can potentially cause other problems which only knowledgeable geeks can handle).  ;)

But I'm (also) a ZoneAlarm (basic) user who has been experiencing restricted access to websites since late February.   :(   Yahoo mail, Hotmail, the online game I play, WheresGeorge.com -- just about any website that requires cookies (especially where you login with username/password); I can log in but get logged right back out again the first navigational link clicked (also preferences are not remembered).  Sometimes it won't allow you to log in at all -- websites spit back standard error message about the browser not accepting cookies, which I know is false because I've had the privacy and security settings (in I.E.) on "Accept all cookies" even and it STILL doesn't work.  >:(   Also ashWebSv.exe is listed in ZA with green checkmarks under access permissions.  I've tried using an alternative browser (Opera), but it also encounters the same cookie block.   My sister is using the same two programs with similar problems (she can't get into Yahoo or her favorite user/pwd. medical site either, which she is paying for).

I'm surprised (in fact) that I have remained logged in to this forum site -- I guess I'll see what happens when I hit the Post button... If I turn Zone Alarm off the problem stops; but I don't want to risk being online without a firewall (or with the security settings dumbed down) -- that defeats the whole purpose.  I don't understand about the localhost/proxy 12080 thing -- that workaround sounds pretty complicated; as don't you have to reconfigure all your internet programs with those settings in order for them to work?  What else does a proxy setup affect?

I'm surprised that more hasn't been posted about this in either Avast or Zonealarm's forums, as I'm sure that there's a lot of people who are using the two programs together; plus it also seems to affect those running ZoneAlarm Pro in a similar way.  If this problem doesn't clear up soon, I'll have to find an alternative to either ZoneAlarm or Avast. :(   I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though.  I have installed Avast on a half-dozen computers (or more) for friends and family -- my sister is your biggest fan, in fact  8); and we've never experienced a problem until now.

Churchmouse
------------------
2.4 GHZ  P4 running WinXP Home w/SP2, 512 MB, Avast! 4.6.623; ZoneAlarm Basic 5.5.062.011

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Shortly... No, you don't have to uninstall avast! prior upgrading to beta version. Just run beta installer, and everything will be OK. You may need to reset your system after update is done, but I'm sure avast! will warn you.

Cheers !

Edit: Those problems with proxies should have been solved with latest few beta updates if I'm not wrong. You don't have to touch your proxy settings, just update your avast! to latest beat release.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 12:41:23 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Churchmouse

Ok, thanks, I'll try that then. :)