Author Topic: ** Introducing ** - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.635)  (Read 64094 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
OK, give it a try, and don't worry... no reported problems with latest beta release. I test every single beta since Alwil started to release them, and I can just say, this one is stable as a rock.  ;D

Keep us updated...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Churchmouse

Update completed to version 4.6.639.  However there has unfortunately been no change in my computer's behavior. :(   In addition I got auto-logged out of this forum and so in order to post this, I have placed Avast's domain in ZA's Trusted Zone list (hope that's ok).  I'd rather not go that route for Yahoo.com for obvious reasons; besides which it was my understanding that the Trusted designation was mostly reserved for computers & connected peripherals (scanners, printers) on a local network.  *.sigh*   It's been most puzzling, not to mention frustrating.  I have both my privacy and security sliders in I.E. (6.0) set on Medium.

This is the message I got when first attempting to update my user profile here on your forums:

An Error Has Occurred!

The user whose profile you are trying to view does not exist.

This is the error received from Yahoo Mail server:

Your login session has expired.

Why does my session expire?

Login sessions expire for two reasons.

For your security, your Yahoo! Mail session expires a maximum of twenty-four hours after you have logged in. If you have chosen in your Yahoo! User Information (found be visiting "My Account" next to the Yahoo! Mail logo at the top of this page) to be prompted for a password more frequently than every day, your session will expire after the specified amount of time.

If you do not accept the cookies set on login or your computer is not configured to accept cookies, your session will expire almost immediately. We use cookies (small pieces of site information) to assist us in user authentication and in saving configuration information. Cookies are required for Yahoo! Mail.

If you see this message immediately after logging in, you should check the following:

Check to see that your computer system time is accurate. Cookies are time sensitive and may not work if your computer date is incorrect by a large amount.
Make sure that your browser is configured to accept cookies or that you agree to accept cookies during the login process.
Turn off any third party programs or control panels that automatically reject cookies.

I've noticed that although I have access, web navigation is somewhat slow, plus it often "hangs" and I have to stop and refresh a page in order to force it to appear.  It's slow even considering that I'm stuck on 28K dialup (due to archaic phone lines, not my modem).  If it's any help with diagnosis, this problem seemed to appear gradually around mid-late February and then escalated to where the login cookies were expired almost immediately.  I have scanned for viruses, trojans and spyware (using WindowsSecurity.com online scanner, Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D) but found nothing.  :-\  Any other suggestions?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Do you have any other third party cookies blocker or something like that installed on your system ?

Did you try completely terminating all avast! providers ? Try that (just temporary) and see if your problem is still there... any changes ? That way, you'll go by the system of elimination...
What are other security programs you have installed and running on your system ?

Cheers !

Alwil ? Any thoughts on this one ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Churchmouse

A quick update to the situation:

Do you have any other third party cookies blocker or something like that installed on your system ?

Nothing except for the I.E. 6 SP2 Pop-up Blocker -- and it's set on Low (allow secure site popups).  I don't think this has anything to do with the problem though.

Did you try completely terminating all avast! providers ? Try that (just temporary) and see if your problem is still there... any changes ? That way, you'll go by the system of elimination...

Tried that, too.  Went back to Yahoo.com, recieved the "login session has expired" error, then shut down Avast.  Logged back in and navigated several links with no noticeable delays or other problems.  But as soon as I re-enabled it, I was back on the outside looking in, lol.   Same results at www.wheresgeorge.com.  Seems like they'll function with either ZoneAlarm or Avast in the background, but not both. :(

I also had to disable Avast to stay logged into this forum long enough to post, despite it being in the Trusted Sites on ZA... It worked earlier a few hrs. ago -- I'm not sure why it's not working now.  ???

What are other security programs you have installed and running on your system ?

Let's see...Windows SP2 ICF is disabled (as per instructions from MS and ZoneAlarm)... Just the Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware -- nothing in the resident tasks -- i.e., they only run manually offline when needed.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.  Avast! is an excellent program and I don't regret recommending it to our local pc shop techie -- he wrote a very supportive review in our county newspaper a few months back btw.  8)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
A quick update to the situation:

Nothing except for the I.E. 6 SP2 Pop-up Blocker -- and it's set on Low (allow secure site popups).  I don't think this has anything to do with the problem though.

Pop-up blocker has nothing to do with it and I didn't even mention it... see here:

I mentioned third party Cookies blocker. Cookies are far different from pop-ups, actually nothing incomon. If you have some Cookie cashing blocker or something similar, it could be the core of your problem... but, on the other hand, it doesn't have to be...

I wrote:

You wrote:
Tried that, too.  Went back to Yahoo.com, recieved the "login session has expired" error, then shut down Avast.  Logged back in and navigated several links with no noticeable delays or other problems.  But as soon as I re-enabled it, I was back on the outside looking in, lol.   Same results at www.wheresgeorge.com.  Seems like they'll function with either ZoneAlarm or Avast in the background, but not both. :(

I'm not sure about that one... I use avast! Professional and Zone Alarm Free and I never ever experienced problems with staying logged in, in any other forum. Did you checked those preferences (settings) or whatever they have on that web site, where you can choose and set your preference like: stay logged forever, stay loged 60 minutes, stay logged in 346  ;D minutes, log me off as soon as I exit forum and stuff like that ? Maybe, it's somewhere in the settings. I know you didn't change anything yourself, but it could be that they changed forum engine or some default settings are all of a sudden set to different values... sorry, but I'm just trying to cover every single possible thing... especially, because you mentioned that those problems started all of a sudden. Also, it could be that something poped-out with few latest avast! updates. That's why I asked for Alwil's opinion. I want this problem to be solved as soon as possible. C'mon Alwil, at least to hear from you... lady needs out attention and she needs to solve this issue ! I'm not saying avast! is 100% causing this... but we have to check every single possible situation, and then we can search for workaround. If we work together, we can beat this problem Alwil !

You wrote:
I also had to disable Avast to stay logged into this forum long enough to post, despite it being in the Trusted Sites on ZA... It worked earlier a few hrs. ago -- I'm not sure why it's not working now.  ???

That's why I already mentioned those forum settings. When you are logging into this forum for example... (see attached picture), you'll always get option to choose if you want to be logged in just temporary, or longer time of period or maybe if you prefer, forewer (actually, as long as those cookies are "alive" and not erased from your cookies cache). I'm sure you know about that one, but as I said before, just checking...

I wrote:

You wrote:
Let's see...Windows SP2 ICF is disabled (as per instructions from MS and ZoneAlarm)... Just the Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware -- nothing in the resident tasks -- i.e., they only run manually offline when needed.

Well, even if you leave SP2 firewall enabled you shouldn't have problems at all. It will never ever interfere with ZA or any other "normal" extra firewall you have instaledl on your system. It's little suspicious though, why would MS ever recommend disabling their firewall in situations like this... it is not the cause of these problems, I am sure.

You wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to help with this.  Avast! is an excellent program and I don't regret recommending it to our local pc shop techie -- he wrote a very supportive review in our county newspaper a few months back btw.  8)

No problem, I am glad to help if I can, but it looks like we both are stuck on this one... I repeat... we need to hear professional opinion form one of Alwil guys. They have great knowledge, I am sure they are very busy with all these question in forum, and also working on future releases of avast! and other products, but this lady needs our help.

Let's be gentlemans like we are !

Thanks everybody !
Regards !
Sasha

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Hi,

I am sorry to admit, but this indeed seems like a problem with Zone Alarm and avast Web Shield. Every once someone reports a problem with logging into Yahoo mail accounts or something like that with Zone Alarm and although we have several installations of ZA in our test labs it's almost impossible to reproduce it. Finally we were able to describe the problem and are in contact with Zone Labs support team - or to be more precise, we have contacted them, got a brief response and now they are taking their time.

The thing is that Zone Alarm **sometimes** gets confused by Web Shield proxy and considers all cookies to be 3rd party cookies and blocks them. Many times it's also corrupts it's own rule database - no matter avast is installed or not.

You can get more info and suggested workaround in our Web Shield FAQ here:
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6871

Generally speaking - it helps to turn cookie blocking off, or to turn it off for Internet Explorer and turn in on for Web Shield (Avast! Web Scanner) or as a last resort turn the Web Shield off. (if the proxy setup seems to be too complicated to you). All this will help!

Believe me, we are constantly working on this issue and I even have bad dreams about this dreaded firewall. Most of the updates were trying to target this problem and most of the time it seemed to be successful. Now we are kind of waiting for the Zone Labs response  :'(

Good night.

Lukas.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Thanks Lucas, you're wonderful !!!

I knew someone will see this thread and respond. You did it and I thank you in the name of Churchmouse and my own name. Well... what can we do... I guess we have to wait for ZoneLabs respond and in the mean time, Churchmouse can try to follow your advices to solve her problems at least temporary.

Just one question... are those problems affecting just ZoneAlarm Pro or Home version is also in this story ? How come I never experienced similar problems ?

Thanks again !
Sasha

kamulko

I know this is like an off-topic here: only I want to say that I had ZA 2 years ago working with NAV... what a disaster!!! uninstalled NAV, I tried McAfee: THE SAME!!! Then (desperated) tried free/evaluation versions of Kaspersky, AVG etcetera. Well, only when I have uninstalled ZA all is turned almost normal. I remember also when 1 malware (I don't remember the name) dismantled a part of ZA!!! Some my friends and colleagues have problems with this firewall but they don't see and refuse to hear the true 'cause most of magazines (in italy)says it like the best firewall in the world. Now I use McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and I have no problems at all: no problems after 18 months, great customer service in real time, great configuration options, a fine graphic traceroute/ping to trace attacks, etc.  The only invasive option is the Security Center Panel, but it offers a simplified approach for non expert user. Conclusion: kick out ZA!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 11:59:02 PM by Kamulko! »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The thing is that Zone Alarm **sometimes** gets confused by Web Shield proxy and considers all cookies to be 3rd party cookies and blocks them. Many times it's also corrupts it's own rule database - no matter avast is installed or not.

Lukas, just to report:
Yes, I have problems with GMail + avast + ZA + Maxthon.
Maybe the transition from HTTP to HTTPS is the issue for me.
Now, ZA + local proxy (not WebShield) is bringging trouble from time to time.  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
w/o webshield this version works extremely well for me ... when i get time i will check webshield too
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Churchmouse

Well, even if you leave SP2 firewall enabled you shouldn't have problems at all. It will never ever interfere with ZA or any other "normal" extra firewall you have instaledl on your system. It's little suspicious though, why would MS ever recommend disabling their firewall in situations like this... it is not the cause of these problems, I am sure.

In the Windows XP Help & Support Center files, it states:

"In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. (However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators might turn it off.) You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall." (emphasis added)

So I did.  I figured they had a reason for saying that -- perhaps possible conflicts (similar to what we are encountering now) between programs. Besides which, everything I've read regarding SP2 firewall indicates it's a lightweight that doesn't provide much protection, just "better than nothing".

Thanks both Lukas and Sasha for trying your best to help. :)  I've never used a proxy server and so I have no idea how to set one up.  I barely understand the concept of what a proxy is, even (just from discussion context).  I've noticed that various programs (i.e., AOL Instant Messenger) have referred to proxies in their troubleshooting help files as a source of potential problems when trying to get things connected/working.

I noticed your post at ZA's forum earlier this month, Lukas, and although I'm disappointed the techs there haven't responded, I'm not surprised.  They have their own AV software they wish to promote and Avast! is taking away from that; so they're probably not all that concerned about program compatibility problems. :(  I could be wrong though -- I hope so.

About the forum login, yes, I did notice that you could set the time to expire (cookies) whenever you wanted.  I think I set it at 6 hrs. the first login and then to remain logged on subsequent sign-ins; but it doesn't matter.  I'm still having to disable Avast to get in here. :(  I noticed the webshield was set on High though....would it help to set it back to Normal?  If it's set on Custom and is changed (temporarily), will it still retain the custom option settings if moved back to Custom? (because I don't remember what they were).

You wrote "something like that" (re cookies blocker) and so I thought I'd mention the pop-up blocker *just in case* it was even remotely connected....Remember, I'm not a 'techie' here -- I just know how to dowload/install things and work with basic user config options. ;)

But speaking of configuration options, I don't think there's that many controls in ZA Basic.  I did have the cookie privacy feature (whatever it was) enabled during the 2-week pro trial; but wouldn't that feature have been automatically nullified when the program reverted back to basic?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
But speaking of configuration options, I don't think there's that many controls in ZA Basic.  I did have the cookie privacy feature (whatever it was) enabled during the 2-week pro trial; but wouldn't that feature have been automatically nullified when the program reverted back to basic?

Churchmouse, please see the link with the FAQ. I've prepared there somewhat more detailed instructions where to find those configuration options in ZA.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
You wrote "something like that" (re cookies blocker) and so I thought I'd mention the pop-up blocker *just in case* it was even remotely connected....Remember, I'm not a 'techie' here -- I just know how to dowload/install things and work with basic user config options. ;)

Don't say that... you know more than you want to admit... you're just being modest, that's all. I've noticed that your knowledge is far above the "I'm not a techie". It's just, there is so many things when we speak about computers and software, that no one knows everything... but... but, there is learning feature built in our brains, so we have great oportunity to keep expanding our knowledge.

Lucas is great guy, I'm sure all his advices will lead you to solution of your problem. Just try to follow his advices regarding configuring ZA.

Take care and post back. I am interested to see how this will be solved...

Cheers !

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Chrchmouse
If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall." (emphasis added)
I use ZA Pro and have had the MS Firewall on ever since I installed SP2... Many month ago. I've never seen any adverse
effect because of this. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Yes, ZA and SP2 firewall work together as a charm. I also, believe that none of the other well known firewalls would interfere with SP2 Firewall.

IMHO, Microsoft had to add that line ("If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall"), just because of all those copyright and software monopoly games... they didn't want those "specialized" firewall/antivirus software houses to think like Microsoft is trying to "steal" their customers, so they mentioned it's good to disable it if you're gonna use some other firewall product.

Cheers !