Author Topic: Problems w/ Avast 8 and multiple user accounts on a single installation (XP-SP3)  (Read 2376 times)

Snow_Cat

Each user account seems to have its own set of '...*

*(at this point I was interrupted to go 'look at the computer' again.)[/list]

((tired angry ranting))
    I cannot even start to write this with out being interrupted to go and deal with AVAST's breaking something so that my mother can pay her bills, or get email, or allow my brother to print, or access the files, or repair the MBR (HW specific incompatibility with the file system protection) - it is 12:30 AM, I am sick, tired, I have to consiously concentrate on keepking my breathing at a shalow rate else the my throat stings, my eyes burn, I am unable to sleep for more than a few mintues without choking in a coughing fit-  and yet AVAST has still made itself my most irritating problem.

And infuriatingly this would not be a problem if Avast 8 had a clear method of applying settings across multiple accounts on a single installation, or did some very basic sanity checks.

The automatic updater (while on my Win7 machine much more effective than Google's own fucking updater at getting the correct version,) has attempted to apply updates to everything from my mother's account- which it should have never attempted to do since as a restricted user applying any update is forbidden, now everything CTD's with variations of "update failed".

((more ranting))
    The mail shield BROKE pop mail access for a few days before I got around to manually pointing the mail browser back at my proxy machine.

The network shield somehow made the file and print shares stop working until the settings were reset; though arguably that could be because of use of a non-standard 'hacked' set of drivers to defeat a cerian vendor's designed obsolesence.

The filesystem shield is clearly incompatible with the terrible PATA"compatible" drive caching; leading to severe drive corruption and silent shutdown failures any time it is on, unless the settings are altered to be less intrusive during writes. This incomatibility may be in part because that economy "P4" is out preformed an the older (and slower clocked) Celeron in my old laptop, and the "motherboard" uses the obsolete system expansion bus ...
    [45 minutes of googling trying to find the exact name of that full length double row standard]
    ...the abbreviation of which I cannot remember at the moment, but has shown significant compatibility problems with integrated controllers when used.

... there is a long list of petty things that that are specific to AVAST nolonger working with that old  machine, however between very stupid default settings and common bloatware like spellcheckers (seriously even Comodo has added one too) I have to ask is there an easy way as an administrator assert some damn SENSIBLE settings across all users on a single machine NOW or should I just uninstall it and search for an alternative.

I hate to abandon what I have tested and found to be the most reliable engine bacause the UI has gone to shit.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
    • Maybe Bot
    • Watching (over?) you
      • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
    Looks to me you did not install avast! while logged in as TRUE administrator.

1) delete avast completely (not just through control panel but also use the uninstall utillity)
    2) reboot and log in as TRUE administrator
    3) install avast (and if you have a paid version provide the license file)
    4) reboot

Everything should be working this way.