Author Topic: Problems with net after installing avast  (Read 2537 times)

Kain82

Problems with net after installing avast
« on: May 18, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »
In my Mac, I always use the Activity Monitor to control my download data because I share the connection with my brother.

Today I've installed avast for Mac, and just after installation I've seen something is going wrong, because after installation, every data my internet connection downloads, it has to be uploaded.

There are 2 strange things:

1- Every data I download (for example viewing a youtube video) now has a upload %, when before avast installation, the upload just was in a first moment opening a website, and then, only downloading.

2- I have 50kb/s upload max, and I've seen a maximum of 135kb/s upload, when it's impossible in my connection (not shown in the next image).

As you can see in this image, everything I download (green graphic), it uploads (red graphic) and don't know where and why.

Whats happening? Some help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:01:18 AM by Kain82 »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Problems with net after installing avast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
The "problem" is in the activity monitor, it most probably shows traffic on all network interfaces, including
the loopback (lo). As the web/mail shield works as an transparent proxy, you can than see the "internal"
traffic together with the real network traffic.

Kain82

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »
Aaah ok, thanks a lot, I was so surprised about it. Thanks a lot.

But u say i can see the real network traffic, u mean with 3rd party programs? because as far as I know, there is no way to see the network traffic natively with Mac OS X, only with Activity Monitor.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
Some basic tools like netstat or lsof are part of Mac OS X.