Author Topic: unable to FTP  (Read 3054 times)

_thomas

unable to FTP
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »
A few days ago I was noticing that I didn't have the ability to FTP with Filezilla or Corelite FTP anymore.  It was kind of weird because I was able to FTP a few months ago, so I'm not sure what's changed.

I spent the better part of yesterday and today troubleshooting by uninstalling, reinstalling programs and rebooting my computer.

Earlier tonight I was able to get FTP working by uninstalling avast and disabling my windows firewall and rebooting my router and modem.  I then reinstalled avast and disable windows firewall and FTP stopped working.  As soon as I temporarily disable avast FTP works again.

I looked into the firewall logs and it is blocking the FTP programs.  I tried making manual application rules for both FTP programs according to this page:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1395

but I haven't had any luck.

I've also tried deleting the application rules and retrying the FTP program so avast will relearn them, but to no avail.

I'm really frustrated and at this point would just like to send Avast to bit heaven.

If you know of anything that can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

Thomas

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: unable to FTP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
I'm using avast free 8.0.1488 and Filezilla on firefox 20.0.1, I used it a few days ago without problem.

What setting do you have the avast firewall set to Home, Work or Public ?
That may effect what is allowed out/in, etc.

Quote from: Extract from the program help file
Firewall settings
On this page, you can adjust the firewall security settings to limit external connections according to the environment in which the computer is being used.

Three security levels are defined:
  • Home/low risk zone - suitable when using your computer as part of a home/private network. If this setting is selected, the firewall will allow all communication with the network.
  • Work/medium risk zone - suitable for when your computer is connected to a wider public network, including direct connections to the internet. This is the default setting and if selected, the firewall will allow communication in and out only if allowed by the "Application Rules". If no rule has been created, you will be asked to confirm whether or not communication with a particular application should be allowed.
  • Public/high risk zone - suitable when using your computer to connect to a public network and where you want to ensure the maximum level of security. This is the most secure setting and if selected, no incoming communication will be allowed, effectively making your computer completely invisible to others.
You can adjust the level of security by either clicking on the relevant icon.

On this page, you can also turn off the firewall completely, either permanently or for a specified period of time by clicking the Stop button and selecting the required option. Click Start to turn it on again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security