Author Topic: AVG goes all-in-one to AVG Personal Security Beta  (Read 18042 times)

TAP

AVG goes all-in-one to AVG Personal Security Beta
« on: March 26, 2005, 08:42:47 AM »
 AVG Personal Security Beta

The AVG Personal Security Edition offers the standard AVG Professional functionality plus a brand new personal firewall. The firewall was designed with focus on easy of use and configuration. Even an unexperienced user should be able to configure the firewall to provide reliable protection against external threats. At the same time, the firewall should not present an obstacle in everyday computer usage, forcing the end user to answer questions that he or she can't understand and answer properly. Yet even advanced user will find most of the "bells and whistles" that they know from other firewall products.

This is a first beta version that is intended primarily for preview. We DO NOT recommend to install this version on a mission critical or production machines! Moreover, this version is intended for Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems ONLY! Future versions will support Windows 98 and Windows Me, too - but this version DOES NOT. Before installing this beta version, please, read the installation instructions! We also strongly recommend that you download and go through the manual.

You can download both the installation package and installation instructions from the Downloads section. The appropriate license number is included in the installation package.

http://gappa2.grisoft.cz/freebugs/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVG goes all-in-one to AVG Personal Security Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »
Seem the guys from Grisoft started before  ;D  ;D
Will we run faster now?  ;)

Will this suite be for free (home user)?
Can the user continue to use standalone (antivirus and firewall) products?
Won't it be a bloatware?  :P
The best things in life are free.

TAP

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »
I tested it and I totally didn't like it.  :(

I think AVG's interface is more cumbersome than it should be and I don't
know if those cumbersome configurations would help AVG gets more robustness.
But I don't think AVG is a bad product as some people always say, it's good enough to protect its users anyway.

On my machine avast! is light and doesn't slow down as AVG but avast! has many more strong features that really help avast! gets more efficiency so I have no reasons to look back to AVG anymore.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 12:55:38 PM »
But avast! has many more strong features that really help avast! gets more efficiency so I have no reasons to look back to AVG anymore.  :)

I think exactly the same  8)

techie101

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 07:13:15 PM »
Seem the guys from Grisoft started before  ;D  ;D
Will we run faster now?  ;)
Yes, Grisoft and AVG believe in "future development".  I had sent something to the Avast guys on a promising firewall that had the code for purchase.  I thought that it might be a great addition to Avast but have heard nothing further on it.  I am not in favor of an all inclusive module (AV and FW) but a combo pack from the same vendor is always a good idea.

Will this suite be for free (home user)?
First release of the Beta version AVG Personal Security Edition is available for download and tests.    Beta version of the AVG Personal Security Edition works only with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
If AVG is true to form, the final will be a suite with some advanced features disabled, very similar to what we have with Avast Home and Pro.

user continue to use standalone (antivirus and firewall) products?
This is most likey, but if the suite works out, then "support" of the older configurations may cease in lieu of the newer package.

t be a bloatware?  :P
Only use will tell.   ::)

Staind

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 04:52:56 AM »
I have an odd feeling that since I don't trust AVG AV, I won't trust their Firewall either. :)

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:13:30 AM »
They claim that the new firewall is easy to use for new users. Hah! I still havn't figured out how it works yet.

I'll stick with Sygate and avast!

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »
Computer Associates has the only decent firewall and AV combination in the form of Etrust.  Never used the firewall but I have used their AV quite a bit and like its simplicity and protection.  If I had to purchase a firewall as well as AV program it would be Etrust.

As an aside:

If you know where to look Etrust always offers a one year subscription for their AV program for free too.   You just need to know where it is located this year.  Just do a Google search on "ez antivirus microsoft"

Both EZ AV and Avast are both great programs.  One is basic and dependable and the other very aggressive and not for the beginner.  I always recommend one or the other depending on the person. 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:44:08 AM by Culpeper »

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 05:38:38 PM »
I have used an old version of their firewall, and it was exactly the same as ZoneAlarm. So why pay for something when you can get the exact same thing for free?  >:(

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 12:07:02 AM »
Different strokes for different folks.

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:46:09 AM »
I have used an old version of their firewall, and it was exactly the same as ZoneAlarm. So why pay for something when you can get the exact same thing for free?  >:(

I added a little tidbit in my post above concerning the "free" thing.

Staind

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 02:23:32 AM »
The firewall is also free (there is also a pay version), similar to Zone Alarm.  Basically, I think it's Zone Alarm with a few extra style changes.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 02:37:27 AM »
avg firewall is a big joke - you'd have to be a fool to trust it !!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 05:46:43 PM »

Why?
As a member of Alwil, we expect a 'technical' description  ;)

StyleWarz

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 05:56:51 PM »

Why?
As a member of Alwil, we expect a 'technical' description  ;)
Because their AV isn't preforming to good as well  ;) :P