Author Topic: Minor But Annoying Firefox Issue  (Read 7350 times)

Undead-Divine-Assassin

Minor But Annoying Firefox Issue
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
I updated to Avast 8.0.1488 two days ago.

I've been using Opera recently and having trouble with that and Avast - now sorted.

So today I went back to Firefox and was greeted immediately after launching it by a loading screen message saying the Avast Online Security 8.0.1488 add-on needs to restart Firefox. Did that and found the WebRep icon was now placed back to the right of the search bar rather where I've had it for two years: to the left of the address bar.

I went to Firefox > View(tab) > Toolbars > Customise and moved it back where I wanted it, no trouble. Clicked 'Done' button to save, continued the session and closed Firefox. Later that day I started another session and was surprised to see the WebRep icon back right of the search bar.

Long story short: I've tried many things like disabling the add-on, restarting Firefox and re-enabling it but every time I reboot Firefox the WebRep icon has moved back to the far right of the toolbar again. I do not want it there, I want it with the other cluster of icons I use on the left.

My other add-ons/default icons remain where I put them so whatever the problem is it isn't Firefox itself. It occurred immediately after the Avast! Online Security 8.0.1488 add-on install had replaced the WebRep add-on I'd been using without issue up until that point.

Obviously I'd like feedback to see if others have noticed or experienced this problem but I guess it might be quite a niche issue unless you've customised the Firefox toolbar in a similar way. Nevertheless I'd like it fixed ASAP.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:51:42 PM by Undead-Divine-Assassin »

thug4real

Re: Minor But Annoying Firefox Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »

I've been using Opera recently and having trouble with that and Avast - now sorted.

So today I went back to Firefox and was greeted immediately after launching it by a loading screen message saying the Avast Online Security 8.0.1488 add-on needs to restart Firefox. Did that and found the WebRep icon was now placed back to the right of the search bar rather where I've had it for two years: to the left of the address bar.

I went to Firefox > View(tab) > Toolbars > Customise and moved it back where I wanted it, no trouble. Clicked 'Done' button to save, continued the session and closed Firefox. Later that day I started another session and was surprised to see the WebRep icon back right of the search bar.

Long story short: I've tried many things like disabling the add-on, restarting Firefox and re-enabling it but every time I reboot Firefox the WebRep icon has moved back to the far right of the toolbar again. I do not want it there, I want it with the other cluster of icons I use on the left.

My other add-ons/default icons remain where I put them so whatever the problem is it isn't Firefox itself. It occurred immediately after the Avast! Online Security 8.0.1488 add-on install had replaced the WebRep add-on I'd been using without issue up until that point.

Obviously I'd like feedback to see if others have noticed or experienced this problem but I guess it might be quite a niche issue unless you've customised the Firefox toolbar in a similar way. Nevertheless I'd like it fixed ASAP.

Same here, have patience on the next update I'm sure avast team will fix this small issue.

Regards RealNature,

Johnny4745

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »

You might want to read this:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/changes-toolbars-and-window-sizes-are-not-saved

thug4real

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
Thx for sharing this :)

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/changes-toolbars-and-window-sizes-are-not-saved

Thanks for the suggestion I was so hoping it was going to work but I've, literally, just finished doing a Firefox Reset as described (not as much hassle as I expected either). Customised the toolbar back to what I wanted, enabled the three Add-Ons I use one at a time, restarting Firefox after each one and leaving the Avast! Online Security 8.0.1488 until last.

All the other toolbar customisation - no problem, all remembered after each restart. Avast Online Security 8.0.1488 with WebRep - nah! :( It behaves just as I originally described reverting back to the right of the search box on every Firefox restart. Disappointing.

As said, I didn't think it was a Firefox problem; the problem began immediately after the updated Avast Add-on  installed. Pretty much a smoking gun I think.

It must be a specific issue for Avast with Firefox though. As mentioned I've been playing around with Opera recently and once I'd found out how to do it I customised the toolbar to the same layout as I use with Firefox. The WebRep icon stays exactly where I put it on the left. I haven't tried with EI but I don't use it very often and the default position for the Avast WebRep icon is on the left anyway.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:06:16 PM by Undead-Divine-Assassin »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
Yes, it's a bug.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
So it's not just my installation/set-up then, that's good news.

But it also means we're going to have to wait for a fix - no doubt patience will be required as I guess it isn't a priority issue. :)   

teakilla

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
It seems to be a problem with the FF addon "avast! Online Security" (currently version 8.0.1489).
Disabling the addon solved my problems: Firefox lost all settings but not after restarting the application. It lost it when restarting the system.
Addons like NOSCRIPT & Co. lost their restriction settings. Very annoying. Had to reconfigure all settings after restarting the system. Only Hibernating the system was a workaround but sometimes you have to restart the PC ...e.g. when updating Avast :-)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »
It seems to be a problem with the FF addon "avast! Online Security" (currently version 8.0.1489).
Disabling the addon solved my problems: Firefox lost all settings but not after restarting the application. It lost it when restarting the system.
Addons like NOSCRIPT & Co. lost their restriction settings. Very annoying. Had to reconfigure all settings after restarting the system. Only Hibernating the system was a workaround but sometimes you have to restart the PC ...e.g. when updating Avast :-)

All may not be what it seems, I have never had any interaction with other FF add-ons or settings whilst using FF and the WebRep add-on a.k.a. avast! Online Security, so I'm not sure what is going on with your system. If it truly were an issue I would have expected to see many more posts like yours, but yours is the first I have seen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion I was so hoping it was going to work but I've, literally, just finished doing a Firefox Reset as described (not as much hassle as I expected either). Customised the toolbar back to what I wanted, enabled the three Add-Ons I use one at a time, restarting Firefox after each one and leaving the Avast! Online Security 8.0.1488 until last.

All the other toolbar customisation - no problem, all remembered after each restart. Avast Online Security 8.0.1488 with WebRep - nah! :( It behaves just as I originally described reverting back to the right of the search box on every Firefox restart. Disappointing.

As said, I didn't think it was a Firefox problem; the problem began immediately after the updated Avast Add-on  installed. Pretty much a smoking gun I think.

It must be a specific issue for Avast with Firefox though. As mentioned I've been playing around with Opera recently and once I'd found out how to do it I customised the toolbar to the same layout as I use with Firefox. The WebRep icon stays exactly where I put it on the left. I haven't tried with EI but I don't use it very often and the default position for the Avast WebRep icon is on the left anyway.

Avast Online Security 8.0.1488 add-on is really needed only for Internet Explorer.  Other browsers are not tied to the operating system as IE is, so any damage to these will tend not to affect the operating system.  Not so for IE; damage there can/will affect Windows.  IE is also very proprietary by design, and add-ons such as AdBlock Plus will not run on it, but will on third-party browsers.  So, third-party security add-ons are just not as readily available for IE as they are for other browsers because of Microsoft's proprietary design. 

avast! does use IE settings to communicate with its' servers, btw.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
I've just updated the Avast program to 8.0.1489 from 8.0.1488 and it doesn't appear to have addressed the WebRep toolbar icon issue reverting to the far right whenever Firefox is launched.

I should say WebRep still works correctly so what teakilla was talking about doesn't appear to be connected the problem I've had. For me it is just a customisation/GUI problem nothing else. Still annoying though.

jrace

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
I had that issue with the "jumping to the right edge" WebRep icon also in version .1488 but it completely disappeared after update to .1489 and it's now staying where I place it.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
Confirmed, ^ thanks for the post.

After my last post ^^ after I'd updated to .1489 I realise now I hadn't restarted Firefox. In fact I went straight from updating Avast and updated Firefox from v.20.1 to the current version. Long story cut short:  I shut the laptop down without restarting Firefox and trying, yet again, to move the WebRep icon to where I want it.

This morning I boot everything up and the Avast WebRep icon now remains where I put it. Yay!

I'm assuming it was the Avast update that did the trick but as I updated Firefox as well I can't be sure. Whatever the case the WebRep icon toolbar customisation problem is no longer an issue with the latest version of Firefox.

Whoever sorted it out - thanks.