Author Topic: What is difference between Web and Network shields?  (Read 3480 times)

nine9s

What is difference between Web and Network shields?
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
I am downloading a large game right now and the data seems to be small files, one after another. Both my Avast Web and Network shields are ticking down as a gas pump cents digits do. So it seems both are checking the same files as each other. 

No problems and I am just curious:  Are the two redundant or does each do something different from the other?  If different, what are each supposed to check/shield?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: What is difference between Web and Network shields?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Have you checked the help file?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast!

File System Shield — Real-time protection against viruses and other malware threats. Scans files as they run on your computer to keep viruses from being able to execute.
Mail Shield  — Scans messages and attachments in E-mail/Microsoft Outlook/Exchange for viruses.
Web Shield — HTTP protection (local transparent proxy). Version 4.8 also allows the blocking of URLs. Scans URLs and incoming data for viruses, and aborts connections to the site if one is found.
P2P Shield — Scans P2P files from file share programs.
IM Shield — Instant Messaging protection. (Scanning of files transferred through instant messaging applications)
Script Shield — Scans webpages for malicious scripts, and disables them from infecting your computer, though they can still be used (for example, a clickable button.)
Network Shield — Basic protection against well-known network worms. Acts as an Intrusion Detection System.
Behavior Shield — Reports suspicious behavior by analyzing the behavior of programs

nine9s

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:30:29 AM »
Thanks, but I had seen those before and was confused because based on those definitions of the two shields, I would not think both would be checking very single file of the game download, as what I saw would imply both were doing.  It was like a 12 gigabyte download with 1000s of files and both shields were counting as rapidly as the two cents digits on a gasoline pump.

Theblob

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »
difference is web shield is more "complete" it does everything network shield does & more (and also has heuristics)

so u can just keep web shield up & disable network shield to save resources, same protection & less hassle thats what I do  8)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
I would advise to "not" disable the network shield.
The network and web shields do "not" necessarily do the same thing.
I refer you to the reply that Pondus made in #2.  :)

Each shield you disable or don't install means less protection.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Theblob

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »
yup I'd also advise to read reply #2. it's a copy-paste that gives just about...zero useful info ^^ cant get any more vague then that. lol

web shield is like a "network-shield-plus". it gives real protection & does all that network shield does, only better

btw network shield only detects known worms (so any 0-day worm makes that shield useless. and there's many more unknown then known threats out there)
web shield detects both known & unknown worms

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:01:23 AM by Theblob »

Theblob

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
also check this:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2e3ah5x.jpg

notice the 2 buttons on the right. notice there's 1 button missing ^^