Author Topic: How many viruses avast detects?  (Read 14219 times)

chips

How many viruses avast detects?
« on: September 19, 2003, 09:11:12 PM »
I have a question: how many viruses avast detects?

ts

Re:How many viruses avast detects?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 09:30:07 PM »
Hi,

when searching for '*' in the virus-database of avast you get 23667 listed viruses.

HTH,
  ts :)

chips

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 09:41:25 PM »
But is that all?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 09:56:12 PM »
Avast finds more than one Virus/Signature. The generic Detection do cover much more Malware. Maybe one of the Avast guys is able to declare it a bit more.
MfG Ralf

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 10:57:18 PM »
No, we don't. You can't compare this total number with other AV products because one can differentiate every virus with the specific signature (??.A/??.B/../??.L) and the other can embrace whole virus family under one signature. For example, avast's "win32:trojan-gen" signature. Look up other the forum contributions on this topic.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 11:16:55 PM »
This has alredy been discussed multiple times on this forum. See e.g. http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=200
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jordito

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 01:01:48 AM »
HELLO TO EVERYONE!
I installed yesterday the AVAST! Antivirus and it found in my "new" computer a virus called W32:Trojan-gen!!!! As I have been able to read in some posts, this virus fixes the main internet explorer webpage as wwww.true-counter.com and some shitty pages like that. My question is: I have this virus in the memory ( located in the iexplore.com).... how can I get rid off it??? It's very annoying to have a virus in my sweet memory he he.... After all, I have no idea of what this virus can do. Is it harmful at all?

Please, I don't know what to do. I have read the idea of restarting my computer in safe mode and trying to remove it then.... But, is that a good idea?

Thank you in advance. Regards
Jordi

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 01:13:45 AM »
It seems it's not a virus so please use Spybot (http://security.kolla.de) or Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com) to remove it.

chips

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 08:51:37 AM »
Thanks for the answer!!
I had to look better for a similar topic.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 09:26:03 PM »
Grrrr, yet another "expert" is slinging mud at avast! on the CNET forum - http://download.com.com/3302-2239_4-10225276.html , the "VirusGuy"... I hate this - I wish these people had an idea what they're talking about before deciding to write such thing.... :(

Maybe in the next version, we should state that avast is able to detect 300,000 viruses -- do you think it'd make these people happy? ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 11:13:07 PM »
See the bright side Vlk, I voted for Avast4 on the same page. So if other folks did the same we may get 99.99% positive votes  ;D ;D ;D
MW

Lito

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2003, 12:38:08 AM »
Hi ;D, I made the work at Softonic.com (spanish site); and my specific opinion is at http://www.softonic.com/opinion_programa.phtml?opt=9&n_id=18007&n_id_op=31910. On that site Avast has more than 30000 downloads and a popularity of 4 stars ;)

Cheers, Lito.

P.S: sorry for my english.

techie101

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2003, 03:33:22 AM »
Enough already!

Virus...smirish....bah.  If you consider the hueristic capability of Avast, it can detect far more than the 24,000 viruses in the database.

Avast can and does detect the viruses that it is supposed to detect.  Other AVs may boast of higher virus counts in their database, but they fail to detect them!

What is more important....numbers or reliability!

I have put my trust in Avast for some time now after using about half a dozen other AVs.

People are free to comment as they wish about Avast for in their insecurity and lack of initiative in contacting any of us for help, they fall short of obtaining one of the best anti-virus programs around......
and they can never beat the price!!!

:D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 03:34:29 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2003, 04:43:00 AM »
Enough already!

Virus...smirish....bah.  If you consider the hueristic capability of Avast, it can detect far more than the 24,000 viruses in the database.

Avast can and does detect the viruses that it is supposed to detect.  Other AVs may boast of higher virus counts in their database, but they fail to detect them!

What is more important....numbers or reliability!

I have put my trust in Avast for some time now after using about half a dozen other AVs.

People are free to comment as they wish about Avast for in their insecurity and lack of initiative in contacting any of us for help, they fall short of obtaining one of the best anti-virus programs around......
and they can never beat the price!!!

:D

techie101, you´re not alone! All avast! users share your opinion.
Btw, Vlk, the VirusGuy message of 20-Sep-2003 01:53:00 AM (This product has a Virus Database of 25,000. Compare that to Norton, Mcafee..Even other free products like AVG etc. have databases in the 60,000 plus range, This personally gives me some 45,000 reasons not to download this tool. Sure fireworks go off and wheels start spinning when it finds a virus, It looks and sounds cool which is why people score it so high but it's not for file sharers, Folks that use IRC etc.) is pure nonsense!
Although, is useful for avast! to read the opinions of other users I suppose  ;D
The best things in life are free.