Author Topic: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1489)  (Read 170344 times)

jtk1015

Re: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1489)
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
I totally agree with Dimulec about piggy backing Google Goo on paid subscriptions! Even if you opt-out by unchecking the pre-checked Google Chrome buttons using manual install (8.0.1489), you will still get a Google folder in C:/Program Files (x86) and several google-updater registry entries also. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
I totally agree with Dimulec about piggy backing Google Goo on paid subscriptions! Even if you opt-out by unchecking the pre-checked Google Chrome buttons using manual install (8.0.1489), you will still get a Google folder in C:/Program Files (x86) and several google-updater registry entries also.
You might end up with a few registry entries referencing to a non install of Google Chrome but it will not put any Google folder in C:/Program Files if you have unchecked the chrome offers.

Mick3066

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »
I have upgraded from avast 8.0.1483 to the new version on my windows xp x64 computer and have a couple of problems.

The first issue is with an annoying toolbar which has appeared in Outlook 2003 which has never existed before and keeps multiplying each time I open a new message (see image). I tried uninstalling avast and this toolbar went away but came back when I reinstalled avast.  I have tried every way to get rid of it... I have unselected it and deleted it in Outlook but it keeps coming back...

The second issue I have noticed is that in the browser integration settings it says that the internet explorer security plugin is not installed, but when I try to install it I get the following error message (see image).  I never had this problem with previous versions of avast.

I hope that you are aware of these issues as I haven't had either of them before....

Thanks

alansmith2013

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »
i just recently upgraded my avast free to avast pro to my surprise i cant access the internet using any web browser im using windows xp professional n sp3 pentium m .73 GHz 504 mb RAM

lgbirt

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
Since I rarely shut-down this PC, Avast auto update just ran today.  I am very upset that it also installed Google Chrome without asking for permissions.  I do not want additional browsers or any software installed without my knowledge and approval.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »
Since I rarely shut-down this PC, Avast auto update just ran today.  I am very upset that it also installed Google Chrome without asking for permissions.  I do not want additional browsers or any software installed without my knowledge and approval.
In your Update settings, change Program Updates to "notify only", or however it's worded (that's the default setting, too), or even manual if you're reasonably sure you're aware of new program updates as they become available.  That way you've got control over the procedure and can opt-out of the Chrome installation (typically offered right after rebooting).  For that reason and several others, most of us don't permit program auto-updates.

By all means leave your defs/engine updates left on auto ... if you're set up for streaming updates, some days there can be quite a few of those.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

DrHaze

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »
Avast spent  money for agreement for the antigen firewall components

It fails like you wouldn't believe.see a website to see outpost blow away avast.

You could study all the matousec tests and enjoy the source code attached. I haven’t read the site very much. But you guys should have extremely good results to begin with
Outpost Security Suite Pro 8.0.4164.639.1856      90 %       11           Excellent              GET IT NOW!      Ii believe it’s obvious they totally ripped  avast off..

Didn’t they give you the source code for the firewall does it say that in your agreement, or did they give you worthless api’s I heard components.
For an agreement like that it had better be equal to outpost right? I am quite pissed that your firewall is so poor when you signed agreement and I was expecting excellent matousec results
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

clearly outpost has  a 90 and avast like 33 or something.terrible what that company has done

Customers should get an excellent firewall that matches the outpost rating. By using Avast 8.

i am not try violate the forum rules but put i put in an emergency ticket and nothing has been done and i  not received a reply i just want to make sure this gets through it just seems very strange avast i s always very  prompt every time. and has that reputation
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:10:52 AM by DrHaze »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2013, 04:32:06 AM »
the Outpost firewall technology isn't yet incorporated into Avast 8.0.x

so no idea what you complain about
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2013, 04:44:41 AM »
the Outpost firewall technology isn't yet incorporated into Avast 8.0.x

so no idea what you complain about

I seem to remember reading in a couple of threads over the last few months that Avast decided against using that technology (Code) and has opted to go with their own.

DrHaze

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
well if they dont use out use outposttechnology.there sure have a weak firewall....too bad

schauhan671

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
I've updated my Avast Premier to 8.0.1489 version on my Windows 8 Pro (x64) and got trapped in OS crashes with 'BAD_POOL_HEADER' error after a day. Now I've downgraded back to the previous version and still waiting whether its OK or NOT.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
well if they dont use out use outposttechnology.there sure have a weak firewall....too bad

The problem is more to do with the testing methodology as it is HIPS based only (which as far as I'm aware isn't built into the avast firewall).

The avast firewall isn't meant to run in isolation but as a part of the full suite, Network Shield, Web Shield, etc. etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee88

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
My program update is stuck. It's in step one, "saving package...his may take awhile" but it's been an hour and not progressing at all. I closed Avast and reopened, thinking I could try doing the update again but the update download is still showing and in the same place. How do I abort this update to start it again?? I see no 'cancel' option.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »

The avast firewall isn't meant to run in isolation but as a part of the full suite, Network Shield, Web Shield, etc. etc.

Good point David.  ;)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:49 AM »
sigh ...

we and avast staff know about Matousec's tests ... for years ...

note: asw, alwil, avast ... same company ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive