Author Topic: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1489)  (Read 169872 times)

boe323

Re: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1489)
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
Thers another error I posted, the description for event id 16001 from source AFD cannot be found.  Either the component that raises the event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer, that one is avast, and the IO error accurs at the same time. DEVICE/AFD,  DRIVER/AWSTDI, MY system is windows 8 pro 64bit.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:02:39 PM by boe323 »

fantasticlees

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
i restored a backup yesterday and didnt even realise there was a version 8.  today  i was looking in the avast program from systray and a single line on opening the avast program interface on my pc said not connected  with avast! account.. no popups or alarms :(. my avast has been saying its up to date after running both program and definition updates. (includes as i type this and i havent yet installed version 8.) anyway went to the WEBSITE avast interface through the link in program (saying not connected to account), i am an IS paid registered user and it after a few minutes then said connected to account on my pc but not on the web interface. not sure if it was  rebooting or logging  off and reconnecting, i did both but it now says connected on devices tab on web interface aswell as my program. anyway reason im commenting here, was browsing avast web interface site and it said version 8..well that flagged minialarm bells as when i noticed it said not connected to avast account in my program, kneejerk reaction, i clicked the manual update, both programs and definitions. as mostly always happens, i got a progress and updated successfully but still showed version 7. at first i thought perhaps only new customers get v8 and 'allreadies' just get v7 updates. however still thinking something up decided to visit here, glad i did. so now i think somethings definitely up :( . this after restoring my system yesterday and running several online scanners(not at same time in order of Eset( pulled up 42 threats incl. downloadadmin,babylon a,c,e, messengerplus,ibryte,askc,somotoA,alllyrics several locations over),then  Housecall, Norton, Kaspersky then back to Avast Main pc program) as a secondary backup to avast after restore.

my system is win7-64 and my avast showing 7.0.1455 program and 130518-1 definitions.  have downloaded version 8 from your site and will install now. just thought id mention this for some feedback. will probably post in another area of this forum too though this is update related.

ok cheers. explains why i wasnt getting popups ,thanks.
as with rest of my post, avast wasnt indicating there was an update and didnt update or tell me about version 8.......

to add
as with rest of my post, avast wasnt indicating there was an update and didnt update or tell me about version 8.......auto updates were still providing green box and voice saying (v7) up to date and manual update of both program and definitions still showed v7 as being up to date both yesterday and before restore.............main bit not being the popups but the fact it didnt even update manually but you may have covered that in diff regions get updates at diff times, but were talking yesterday??
and in reply to post, program has always been set to tell me when program update available, as opposed to manual or auto of the 3 settings. id prefer to know its done something.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:06:50 PM by chris:) »

fantasticlees

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
OK now i am extremely concerned, just installed it and then checked the pdf. did a custom install and there was no insert licence mentioned unlike pdf. so went to www.avast.com not from within program and downloaded. just looked at my downloads folder to scan it and the file names are different. a space has been inserted.

avast_internet_security (2).exe (first download and installed-redirected from within avast pc interface)
avast_internet_security(1).exe (www.avast.com from my web browser)

and yup i downloaded the files multiple times..chrome being 1 reason for when it was avast7 on  my pc. The installed from link redirect within program (currently installed) is the one with the space and (2). the one ive just downloaded is from going to the website from my browser..both the download locations looked identical.

*****please this is very important****

edit: havent yet run the new download without the space..waiting on an answer...(probably an update to the  install program but ill let you tell me)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:29:58 PM by chris:) »

Aventador

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
Please download a fresh copy of Avast Internet Security. Then download the Avast uninstaller. Be sure show the Avast version you are currently uninstalling and point it to the install directory. Reboot and install the copy of AIS you downloaded.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security "click on trial download"

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Most importantly......................RELAX!

fantasticlees

« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Please download a fresh copy of Avast Internet Security. Then download the Avast uninstaller. Be sure show the Avast version you are currently uninstalling and point it to the install directory. Reboot and install the copy of AIS you downloaded.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security "click on trial download"

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Most importantly......................RELAX!

ok thanks Aventador, i'll try.

i) Should I post elsewhere in the forum if it's normal for the files to be different from what appears the same source? Instead of assuming things, an explanation or thoughts would ease it greater.
ii) In the world of the internet, which should be more trusted- a browser downloaded file on a recognisable website address of a commercial program or the within program link of a commercial program if it ever crops up again?
ii) Once I have downloaded the two sources, can i go offline just for the install?

thanks for your assistance, though an explanation helps the relaxation more :)

thinking about it as this is an update thread, might be better i post in main forum under new heading as may lose it if ever need to refer back to
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:27:22 PM by chrisww »

Aventador

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
No reason to go offline. That is absurd.

fantasticlees

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2013, 06:42:25 PM »

k. just if i have a virus, it would stop it transmitting out..in my mind not so absurd but im no security expert. am doing the stuff now, thanks

fantasticlees

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »

k. just if i have a virus, it would stop it transmitting out..in my mind not so absurd but im no security expert. am doing the stuff now, thanks

done and used your links. thanks.

the custom install had a licence key insert this time as per the pdf :)  SHOULD I SUBMIT the install file of the 'avast' program (i downloaded without the licence insert in the custom setup) or was it an old version or something or have you given me an old version ?! (see why explaining really helps)-i double checked it after i read the pdf by attempting to follow the pdf and reinstalling the '8' id allready installed so i know i didnt make a mistake and miss where it says insert licence file and figured it would be safe as in the forum it said it was ok to install over 7 (so i thought, i need to chk with 8 incase i missed it).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:12:15 PM by chrisww »

Aventador

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
Ok. Once you uninstall your current AIS using the Avast Uninstall tool then reboot. Install the trial version of AIS 2013 and after its installed then insert your license key.

fantasticlees

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
Ok. Once you uninstall your current AIS using the Avast Uninstall tool then reboot. Install the trial version of AIS 2013 and after its installed then insert your license key.

done and used your links. thanks.

the custom install had a licence key insert this time as per the pdf :)  SHOULD I SUBMIT the install file of the 'avast' program i downloaded without the licence insert in the custom setup) or was it an old version or something or have you given me an old version ?! (see why explaining really helps)-i double checked it after i read the pdf by attempting to follow the pdf and reinstalling the '8' id allready installed so i know i didnt make a mistake and miss where it says insert licence file and figured it would be safe as in the forum it said it was ok to install over 7 (so i thought, i need to chk with 8 incase i missed it).

Incase you didnt see edit and thanks :)  (and yes it wasnt 8 over 7, it was an '8' over the same just installed '8' supposedly but i needed to check before coming on here to post). Anyway should i submit the file in question?

update: not good, the program  said 2 of my software needed updating-the browser and itunes. well everything appeared fine after update-i was navigating around itunes correctly then it just said couldnt connect as i tried clicking links to go from my library back to the itunes store. i added exceptions to firewall even though i had come from the store in going to my pcs library. as per itunes instructions and it still woouldnt connect ..ive had itunes working fine on my system before all this.also my browser which was running in sandbox started freezing :( . not good but hey, im relaxed :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:36:26 PM by chrisww »

AngeliusMefyrx

« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2013, 01:34:49 AM »
Next time i'm getting Google Chrome force install while upgrading Avast, i'm buying a new anti-virus as soon as my license expire...  >:(

boe323

« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
Avast installs google chrome because avast uses it for safezone.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Avast installs google chrome because avast uses it for safezone.

No it doesn't, the safezone browser is based on the chromium browser, it isn't google chrome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iv01

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
Not sure how good the new version is but virus definition update has burned all my 3G account balance.  :-[ Internet costs me much more expensive than the Avast license. The message "connection terminated, retrying..." appears repeatedly. Strongly recommend a "resume download" option in later versions or lots of customer run away.

Customer ID: 100198070

mokkaman

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Great to have an update like this. But I also have to say, the size of the exe also grows significantly with each new update (I was happy with avast 4 around 50mb) . For people with slow internet speeds like me, its really a problem. It would be nice if there is an avast lite version, without the extra stuff like software updater, sandbox and secure browser. By the way, if I didn't notice, is there already a way to install only antivirus and leave off the things I mentioned above ?