Author Topic: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1489)  (Read 170337 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1489)
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »
By the way, if I didn't notice, is there already a way to install only antivirus and leave off the things I mentioned above ?
A custom install would have given you the option to untick the features not wanted, you can also click to uninstall avast and the following next screen will provide you the option to click "change ".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
Great to have an update like this. But I also have to say, the size of the exe also grows significantly with each new update (I was happy with avast 4 around 50mb) . For people with slow internet speeds like me, its really a problem. It would be nice if there is an avast lite version, without the extra stuff like software updater, sandbox and secure browser. By the way, if I didn't notice, is there already a way to install only antivirus and leave off the things I mentioned above ?

These other elements aren't the issue; the constant is that the virus database is always going to get larger and since that is a part of the installation file it is going to continue to grow even if new features aren't introduced.

If you download the full virus definitions you will find that this is currently 85.1MB so that takes up the majority of the space in the installation file.

If you do a program update from the avastUI, then this is much smaller as it would be incremental, downloading the changed program files, but won't have to download the full virus definitions database.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Anarion

« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2013, 11:58:55 PM »
Hmmm... I've noticed that every (or at least some times) when Avast is updating the definitions automatically, Windows Action Center baloon flashes for split second before the Avast popup.

dj_g

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:59 AM »
The Outlook toolbar is once again sticky - you can't get rid of it.

Avastlover24

« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
Good morning,

Third year wth Avast and it feels like the first year (amazing). Avast continues to dominate the AV industry with its unique and great features, including the remake of Avast! online security... great graphics, great everything!

Thank you guys

a loyal user...love ya!

Keep up the good work. :)

JonTheBear

« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi,

I seem to be having some trouble updating (Windows Vista/IE9.0.16), currently have avast 7.0.1474, my computer is telling me to update to Avast 8, which is where the problem showed it self. 

When I try to update using the update via Avast, it just says Initializing, please wait...  the progress bar never moves, I have left the PC alone for hours in the hope that something will happen, but sadly nothing.  Everything is set to Auto-update.

Here is a pic:

Any ideas or Help :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
There is a likelihood that the update servers are busy (given the numbers of users involved 180 million plus), so you could try a manual program up at another time.

Or you could download avast 8.0.1489 and install that, Free AV: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JonTheBear

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
There is a likelihood that the update servers are busy (given the numbers of users involved 180 million plus), so you could try a manual program up at another time.

Or you could download avast 8.0.1489 and install that, Free AV: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, I have been trying to update for over a week so I thought I would have got through by now :(

I tried the .exe file you suggested, but sadly it said it produced an error, see image:

Thanks for your help with this. :), and appologies to the original Poster for hijacking this thread with my problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »
Are you trying to download and install in one action, if so save it to your system and don't try to download, install/run in one action.

Try a clean reinstall of avast free:
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1489 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

NomDeKeyz

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »
Hi All !!!

I've updated with no apparent issue (I haven't run any program besides Firefox since the update, and I haven't played a video game since updating to version 8, so I have yet to determine if all is truly copacetic).  Quick scan was VERY QUICK; I'll do a full scan later tonight, I expect. SO far, so good!

Rant//
(constructive criticisms in bold)

However, I'd like to add my irked voice to dimulec, jtk1015, Igbirt, and AngeliusMefyrxNext with regards to the 'piggybacked Google products'.  I 'don't want to accidentally install anything' - I also 'do not want additional browsers or any software installed without my knowledge and approval.' (demi-quotes from dimulec and Igbirt posts)  I suggest to Igbirt, AngeliusMefyrxNext and others to set your avast up to notify instead of auto-update, and then to manually update (either thru the update prompt or the UI) when able to notice the unexpected.

Luckily, I do not auto-update, ever. After several notifications, I finally decided to update at a time when I was able to be patient and to pay attention to what I was doing... and glad for that I am! I noticed the checkboxes on the finish page. I don't mind the checkboxes being there, but I'd MUCH PREFER that they were not checked by default! If they were not checked by default, they would not be inadvertently installed by me or others.

My estimation of avast would raise exponentially if it did the watchguarding for me in all cases, including this one. Apparently I have to watchguard a program that I bought to be my watchguard. Pft. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am by what seems to be sneaky cross-promoting behaviour (but I'll try). I find it insulting; especially on a paid product. If I had avast! free, I'd be ok with being advertised at. Perhaps make it so that the boxes are only pre-checked for those with avast! free? (no offense to the free users, but it must be paid for somehow, right?)

Of the various AV companies that I currently have exposure to, I like avast! best overall. However, it seems that various av companies take turns sneaky-cross-promoting (Grrr). I'd most like to see one company rise above the rest. I'd most like to see the awsomeness of avast! reclaim the sense of honour and marketing-integrity that attracted me to it in the first place (It still has the sense of community and technichal-integrity that I have always appreciated). Cross promoting may increase profit up to a point, but when the user-base has grown tired of sidestepping it for so long, the company that doesn't do it will have the product of choice.

I, and possibly others, would likely be willing to pay extra for the product that doesn't sneaky-cross-promote. As an example, I detest commercial interruptions on TV. I stopped watching TV over two decades ago (yes, I did miss out on pop-culture, but I clearly didn't really miss out on much). I either read books or used vhs/dvd instead. Now I also use Netflix + Amazon. I still go to the movies occasionally too.  Point being: I am very content to pay extra for commercial-free viewing whenever possible, and I would be content to pay more for the reduction of cross-promoting/commercializing in any/all areas of my life, online and otherwise. I am sure that I am not alone in this. Life is too short to be distracted by unwanted messages/interruptions.

Anyhow... I wish you all a life long enough and healthy enough to do it all, and then some!
Thanks for a great av program for several years, and hopefully for countless years to come!
~ Nom

Tetsuo

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
How could I report a program bug to the developers? I mean,  I know how to report a FP but what about a bug?

I've started a thread, here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123961.0

deedee032

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »
Hello guys! My current version of Avast is 8.0.1455 Today it showed me that my registration had expired so I got a new license key. The problem is that this key contains more than 18 /i think they are 20-22/ symbols and the box for the key can contain no more than 18 symbols. What should I do? Sorry if this is not the right topic, but I am new here  :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
Hello guys! My current version of Avast is 8.0.1455 Today it showed me that my registration had expired so I got a new license key. The problem is that this key contains more than 18 /i think they are 20-22/ symbols and the box for the key can contain no more than 18 symbols. What should I do? Sorry if this is not the right topic, but I am new here  :)
You mentioned you have 8.0.1455 installed - as you can see the title of this thread is 8.0.1489 which you can obtain via the first post in this thread ( use the custom install option for required components install )

What version of avast are you trying to license ?

gregs243

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
Hello.I've been having a few problems with avast for the last month ive had to do 5 clean installs of your product avast 8 free.Each time after a few days it becomes avast pro (i havent used system restore) after the latest clean installit worked for a few days then it informed me that a program update was available(4089) I used the update program and it updated I also registered the free version.a day later and it has stopped updating (definition date 18/5/13)and it has reverted to program version 4088 and will not update again to 4089 any ideas .Using Windows XP SP3 thanks
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:06:27 PM by gregs243 »

ninefour

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »
Is there a log for crashes or when AvastUI fails to load at startup? I don't recall seeing one.