Author Topic: Virus response time  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Tonanet

• I'm a llama!
Virus response time
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:02:01 AM »
Hello guys!

I was wondering, anyone here already sent a virus to virus(at)avast.com ?

How was the response time?

I know that they doesnt answer any email about virus sent, I am asking about the time that takes a new virus sent to them get in their database?

They add fast or takes some time until you see your virus detected?

I only sent virus to mcafee and AVG.... Mcafee is a joke... No answer at all.. and about a month in average to get it to their database...

Now AVG surprised me...I always get an answer in less than 1 day (theres one day that took 8 minutes!) and the files are added in the next update.. (no more than 4 days)..

I would like to know about Avast...? Its good their response time? Or they "work" like mcafee?

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

whocares

Re: Virus response time
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 02:15:07 AM »

... Mcafee is a joke... No answer at all.. and about a month in average to get it to their database...

if you submit the file to mcafee via WebImmune (in a pwd-zipped file, pwd: infected)
you get an automated analysis right away..
for stuff that webimmune can't decide, i usually get answers within 1-3 days then

Can't really say for sure how long exactly it takes for avast, but they decide on relative danger/importance of submitted samples, and queue them in their work-load pipe accordingly, I guess
 ;D ;) ;)

Offline Tonanet

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 02:31:06 AM »
Hello man,

I never submitted via web imunne to mcafee... I usually sent it from the quarantine program that came with virusscan... Maybe is it....Maybe they give preference to web imunne?

:)

whocares

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:08:31 AM »

I usually sent it from the quarantine program that came with virusscan...

Why would you submit detected samples ??

If I were a virus-researcher, I probably wouldn't be too happy either, if everyone sent me useless samples of stuff that my AV already can detect ...
 ???

or did you manually put suspicious, but undeteced files in this quarantine and submit them from there ?

Offline Tonanet

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:10:13 AM »
Hello whocares,

I always send undetectable samples to Mcafee. If I know a file is a malware, but Mcafee doesnt recognize it, I quarantine it and them send it to Mcafee... :)

Theres no point to send a already detectable file to an AV vendor.. unless its a false positive.. :)

Do you know if Alwill gives preference for files sent from virus chest?
Or they give the same attention for files sent by virus chest and files sent directly for they email?

The only diference that I saw is that if I send from virus chest it goes encrypted and with info in the email...

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »
Do you know if Alwill gives preference for files sent from virus chest?
Or they give the same attention for files sent by virus chest and files sent directly for they email?
I think not, but Karel could confirm this. The samples are checked independent of their source.

The only diference that I saw is that if I send from virus chest it goes encrypted and with info in the email...
In the email, you can zip the file with a password and add information in the message body  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tonanet

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 04:24:01 PM »
Olá Technical! tudo certo? heheh.. :)

Do you know if Avast have a good response time for the files submitted? Or they take too long until add your sample?

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 06:53:14 PM »
Ok i give example i send 10 days ago (1.1.2005) multiple infected files (viruses, trojans, malware etc.) ...
all of them were not ITW pieces
these which were most dangerous were added to VPS at 8.1.2005
rest still not ...

usually i send repeated request after 14-21 days e.g. asking why it wasn't added yet and very often i get good answer from Alwil team ... (e.g. sometimes files infected with trojan/virus/malware are damaged or similar and THEY NOT operational and these files Avast! ignore to report but many other AV keep reporting ... due to different detection scheme ...)

from my previous experience Avast virus research team uses layered system, first sorting viruses/trojans/malware by danger (ITW, non ITW, ZOO etc.) and then working on adding detection set into VPS ...

so delay is not just caused by time needed to analyse and implemented qualite dection but also by this sorting by importance of trojan/virus/malware ...

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive