Author Topic: Cannot connect to server..update error  (Read 4710 times)

adbroady

Cannot connect to server..update error
« on: April 11, 2005, 06:34:46 PM »
I have used Avast for a few months with no probs at all. A couple of weeks ago I got a pink error message re not being able to update.

I read through the forums and tried just about everything that has been suggested incl.  Firewall settings, uninstalling and rebooting but keep getting the same error' Cannot contact to server'

Firewall is McAfee. The following have full access
ashServ.exe
setup.ovr
ashMaiSv.exe.
ashWebSv.exe
aswUpdSv.exe
Avast version 4.6(Home)
VPS file version 0511-1
Using Windows XP (SP1) and AOL9. (Broadband Gold)

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer but please go easy on me.......I'm a total numpty...!!!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot connect to server..update error
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:48:35 PM »
avast.setup needs to have access otherwise no updates.

Based on your VPS file version of 0511-1 your VPS file is well out of date - the current VPS version is 0515-0, so your program may well be out of date - the latest release version of avast is 4.6.623.

I would suggest that you try a manual update and see if your firewall asks permission for avast.setup.

Also I would suggest that you try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

adbroady

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:18:17 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply,

I've updated to the new versions but my firewall did not ask for permission re avast.setup. It is also not listed in my applications.

I've also tried connecting via the tray icon again and still get the same message 'cannot connect to server'
...since I've just updated manually ..should I wait???(might be a stupid question but...hey,I'm thick)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:33:04 PM »
I've updated to the new versions but my firewall did not ask for permission re avast.setup.

Strange... I've read the same problem with Sygate...
I'm really thinking it could be a problem with avast.setup ::) ???
Anyway, ZA and Outpost are both asking for permition while updating avast...
The best things in life are free.