Author Topic: No Avast message in incoming or outgoing e-mails  (Read 23727 times)

Offline barryfs

No Avast message in incoming or outgoing e-mails
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:10:44 AM »
I know this has been covered in threads before, and although I have tried to follow the advice given in those threads, I still can't get this to work.

When I send or receive e-mails, I don't get a message at the bottom indicating that Avast has scanned the e-mail.

In the 'Internet Mail' provider, ehich is running, I have ticked the box that says 'Insert Note into Clean Message' on the 'pop', 'SMTP' & 'IMAP' tabs.

I am using outlook express 5.5 on Windows 98SE.
I have Avast home 4.6.623.

Is Avast scanning my e-mails?

Regards
Barry

HIPPO

Re: No Avast message in incoming or outgoing e-mails
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:56:53 AM »
Hi,

In the 'Internet Mail' provider, ehich is running, I have ticked the box that says 'Insert Note into Clean Message' on the 'pop', 'SMTP' & 'IMAP' tabs.

Go in "Outlook/Exchange" provider.
And you tick the box  'Insert Note into Clean Message' on the 'pop', 'SMTP' & 'IMAP' tabs.

Please .

HIPPO

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 01:58:29 AM »
Above, I mistake. sorry.

Offline barryfs

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 08:04:27 PM »
Thanks Hippo,

But I think your second message indicates that you realised that I am using Outlook Express not Outlook.

Does anyone else have any ideas ?

Regards
Barry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:27:07 PM »
I'm not certain, but could it be because you are using OE 5.5 the latest version that can be used with win98se is OE6 SP1, so your OE is way out of date. However, I can't see any OE version restrictions to be able to use insert clean note into message.

Is there anything stopping you updating to OE6 SP1? - at the least this would reduce your vulnerability due to old exploits not patched and may possibly resolve the problem.

Does avast put annotations in the header information of received emails?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »
Does this occur with both HTML and TXT emails?
If you check the same option in MS Outlook plugin and try to send a mail with it, will it receive the clean notes?

Is there in your email headers the following lines?
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2005), Inbound message
and
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean?

(Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 09:13:37 PM »
Are you set up to use port 110 for pop3 and 25 for smtp, with SSL unchecked?  And you went through the wizard setup for 98se per the instructions? 

Offline barryfs

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:26:57 PM »
Hi All,

sorry I've taken so long to reply, but I only get on here very occasionally.I have tested this in 2 ways:
First sending e-mails from my hotmail account to my outlook express account.
Second sending a message to myself from the same OE account.
Neither method gives me any indication that Avast has checked the message.

DavidR,
I have just never got around to upgrading OE, as 5.5 has always been fine.
Maybe the guys at Alwil could let us know if there are problems with Avast 4.6.623 / Win 98Se and OE 5.5.

I do not see any message in the header to indicate that Avast has checked e-mails.

Technical,
It is normally set to HTML, but after reading your reply I changed it to TXT, but still no message.

With regards to your note about the MS Outlook plugin, are you talking about the 'Outlook/Exchange provider'?
When I start the 'on-access' scanner it states that the outlook/exchange provider is 'waiting for a subsystem to start'.

When I look at the e-mail headers I do not see any X-Antivirus: avast messages.

sded,
Yes I am set-up to use port 110 for pop3 and 25 for smtp, with SSL unchecked.
Though I didn't know I was until I went looking for the answer to your question.

Thanks for the help everyone, there has got to be a reason for this, as everyone else seems to be using 4.6.623 without problems.

Regards
Barry

Offline barryfs

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 10:30:11 PM »
sded,

Sorry I forgot to reply to one of your questions.
I ran the Mail Protection Wizard, with OE down.
I told it to protect all my accounts, and it seemed to complete OK.

Regards
Barry

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Did the wizard modify the server address (to 127.0.0.1) and username in OE account settings ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 02:23:48 PM »
Technical,
With regards to your note about the MS Outlook plugin, are you talking about the 'Outlook/Exchange provider'?
When I start the 'on-access' scanner it states that the outlook/exchange provider is 'waiting for a subsystem to start'.

Yes... It's a plugin, i.e., the main program (MS Outlook) must be running to the plugin be active.
But, we can call it a provider... The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that. Check if the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager

Offline barryfs

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 11:10:40 PM »
Technical,
I use Outlook Express, not Outlook (Although I do have Outlook installed on my PC I choose not to use it).
I thought that the Outlook/Exchange provider was only used for Outlook, and that it was the Internet Mail provider that was used by Outlook Express.

Vojtech,
I'm sorry if I am being a little slow here, but where do I check the server address in Outlook Express?
I have manually changed my Internet explorer settings to use localhost with a port of 12080, to enable the webshield to work. Is this the same thing?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »
Tools, Accounts, select an account (you need only check one, however, if you need to make changes you will need to do it to all), click the Properties button and click the Server Tab. Here you will see your server settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline barryfs

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 09:51:53 PM »
Hi DavidR,
I have OE up and running at the moment, and looking at the server settings.

It says that my incoming mail server is a POP3 server.
It tells me my POP3 and SMTP server names, which look correct, and must be as I am sending and receiving mail without problems.It shows my account name and a row of asterisks for the password.
Remember my password is ticked.

Log on using secure password authentication is NOT ticked.
My server requires authentication is NOT ticked.

But there is mention of my server address being 127.0.0.1

Regards
Barry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 10:04:46 PM »
I thought that the Outlook/Exchange provider was only used for Outlook, and that it was the Internet Mail provider that was used by Outlook Express.
You're right... Did I say the opposite?

I have OE up and running at the moment, and looking at the server settings.
It says that my incoming mail server is a POP3 server. It tells me my POP3 and SMTP server names, which look correct, and must be as I am sending and receiving mail without problems. It shows my account name and a row of asterisks for the password. Remember my password is ticked.
Log on using secure password authentication is NOT ticked. My server requires authentication is NOT ticked.
Seems ok for Windows XP.

But there is mention of my server address being 127.0.0.1
Aren't you using Windows 98SE?
If so, see the configurations here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

With Win98 SE you should have:

pop3 server= smtp server = 127.0.0.1
username = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
smtp authentication enabled and the username there = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com