Author Topic: Question to Alwil Team and starting to amazes me about the VPS  (Read 12389 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Looking at this website the VPS History http://www.avast.com/eng/vps_history.html and starting to amazes me  ;D.

How on earth did you people collect so much virus information to create the Avast VPS Patch to your product, my mind keep telling over and over in my head are you working together with a largest Anti-Virus Security company like Symantec, Trend Micro, Kaspersky Lab, Sophos, F-Prot, etc, etc, etc.

All I am saying is when a see the Avast VPS History website and I see so many virus code types information you collected, and you must have been collecting from other major Anti-virus security information to keep your product going as strong as possible.

I know you people don't want to tell us real the truth and how earth you collect so much information when I see the VPS History website, and you must have been working with someone and your not alone and it time to share a little bit of your Avast Chamber of Secret.

Because your product amazes me every day and I feel safe and trusted with Avast, because you people do understand about your product and your security for other people to trust and buy your product.

How many product in Total have you sold last year in 2004.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Kerim

Re: Question to Alwil Team and starting to amazes me about the VPS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 11:15:45 AM »
The secret is:
Bright brains could be anywhere in the world  ;D ... though it is not the end of the story  ;)

Personally I am very satisfied in using the ALWIL product (Avast4! Pro). It is indeed a real friendly anti-virus program though very powerful.

To be honest and perhaps I am wrong, I started lately to fear those 'so-called' great names of AV products. In fact, there is a very thin thread between being helped and being mastered by a program.  :-\

My wish is that the spirit of ALWIL team will survive as it is now as long as possible... at least as long as I live ;D

Kerim

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 10:36:19 AM »
Thanks guys... maybe I should post some more info about our background.

The thing is, we're not a startup company. Not at all. Out history is quite long and we've seen a number of successes as well as downfalls.

For example, this may be interesting to you: all McAfee Antiviurses sold in the year 1997 were in fact based on the avast engine. :) It was a very special deal - when McAfee realized that their engine sucked and needed something new, fast... After a year of licensing our engine, they finally bought DrSolomon (a well-known AV company at these times) and starting using their engine for the McAfee brand.

Anyway, we still feel this was a great achievement for us, and was also very financially lucrative. :) They even used the "Powered by avast engine" logo to market their product - it was on each and every McAfee VirusScan box (we still have a couple of those boxes here ;D).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 10:50:42 AM »
Wow,thats something new for me :) McAfee using avast! engine hm :)
I hope that history will repeat...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:54:35 AM »
Here's another one: avast was the FIRST antivirus in the world that got the VB100% award (that was in 1996) :)

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

watchthisspace

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
Here's another one: avast was the FIRST antivirus in the world that got the VB100% award (that was in 1996) :)

Cheers
Vlk
Cool!!  :D

Delta

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 11:04:22 AM »
Hi, a few months ago I was wondering if there was a history of the company on the Alwil web site but I couldn't find one :( I, for one, would be very interested in reading it. Would this be a possibility? Plus an insight into the company now.

The first VB100% award? :D There must be much more that isn't generally known.

StyleWarz

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 12:36:03 PM »
What about a "History of Awill" page on the avast! homepage, if you mention all this things in here and add some pics (like the mcafee box ;) ) that may help people build trust in this for many people "unknown" AV vendor...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 12:57:31 PM »
I agree. Brand history is usually very important for some users. Look at Norton. They trust it based on name which was authority years ago.
avast! history page would be a nice addition. Ofcourse if you guys have time for such things hehe
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »
Given the fascinating glimpses we've been given of avast's history, I'm even more impressed now with something that's struck me all along.

We all know that some viruses specifically target a-v products, and specifically check for the associated and distinctive file extensions, folder names, and/or registry entries.  And while there may be such a thing floating around (the Alwil team would know better, of course), I've never yet seen or heard of one that's even heard of avast and targets it.

Eat your hearts out, "brand-name" products.  8)
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

o2xygen

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »
avast should have been one of the first a/v created right? if you consider that ALWIL was established in 1988 :)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 04:30:44 AM »
For example, this may be interesting to you: all McAfee Antiviurses sold in the year 1997 were in fact based on the avast engine. :) It was a very special deal - when McAfee realized that their engine sucked and needed something new, fast... After a year of licensing our engine, they finally bought DrSolomon (a well-known AV company at these times) and starting using their engine for the McAfee brand.

Vlk,

I didn't know McAfee were using the avast engine before they change over to DrSolomon engine, may ask why McAfee not using the Avast engine any more before they bought DrSolomon.

Vlk keep on building a new Secret Weapon AV engine for your Avast Anti-virus product cause I would love to see Norton get blown out of the water, and all the other Anti-virus product major players out there ;D

Go Avast get out there and WIN! more product awards.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 04:32:18 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

smokethapimp

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 06:32:14 AM »
Very cool stuff Vlk......A picture of that old McAfee box would be a great addition to your History of Avast! page!
Thanks very much for your free home edition too!! ;D

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 01:31:50 AM »
i agree on the point that more detailed company history and avast history will be helpfull for some users to decide buy Avast! antiviruses :))
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »
i agree on the point that more detailed company history and avast history will be helpfull for some users to decide buy Avast! antiviruses :))

Me too, but the guys seem not to have that time to make it  ::) :'(
I'd like very much to see the history  8)
The best things in life are free.