Author Topic: ashServ.exe - memory error at W2K shutdown.  (Read 12251 times)

wetabax

ashServ.exe - memory error at W2K shutdown.
« on: March 27, 2005, 10:20:13 PM »
Sorry about my english, but I will try to explain:
Win2K - 384MB Ram, PIII 700MHz.
Avast 4.6.623
Not every time, but sometimes, when I ask to shutdown computer, a message appears on screen, with something like this:

[TITLE] ashServ.exe error
[text] The memory address 078469cb8 (something...) and can't be read (...) error 0000118 (...) and a button with OK.

I do anything, and after a while windows shutdown normaly. But I never have time to write all message, because program shutsdown before I get all text.

Any Ideas?

thanks.
walter

GYL

Re: ashServ.exe - memory error at W2K shutdown.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:49:24 PM »
see herehttp://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12320.0

Ricky2005

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »
the same thing happened to me once.. i saw it quickly have you got users on ur pc? i have and i shut down my computer and it came up but i have it like the windows nt way on the users screen... plus i have windows xp pro have you?

wetabax

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:54:14 AM »
my computer is standalone user. Only me. I use win2000 in portuguese.

I noted that the message appears without a reason. But, normally I used internet and used "magic mail monitor" to view my emails.

I don't know if this will be the reason, but maybe.

Each 5 - 6 shut down, one is with the error message.

I will get all the text maybe copy pasting the image.

regards.
w.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 03:07:51 AM »
Wetabax, in English, can you update to 4.6.639 ? It could fix this issue.
Instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12320.msg103918#msg103918

Em Português: Bem-vindo ao avast!  8)
The best things in life are free.

PSCD

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 03:46:30 PM »
Hi.
Excuse my poor English...
I got just the same phenomena with an unreadable message (too fast) about a memory address error, at the computer shutting down.
I am on Win XP SP2, Zone Alarm, and have Magic Express too.
This message does not appear when I close all applications including Avast services before shutting down...
Any idea?, thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 07:27:58 PM »
This message does not appear when I close all applications including Avast services before shutting down...

Most probably while the computer was shutting down avast was 'working' and cannot be canceled without an error.
The same if you want to close Windows with an opened document (*.doc)... Word can 'save' the document but avast! could not be able to handle the opening file at that time...
Maybe Magic Express is working and avast is scanning its contents...

The most important thing, does this occur in every shut down or only once?

PSCD

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 08:09:46 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
In fact, it happens systematically, with no document opened, just applications and even just Zone Alarm and, Magic Express with no message waiting.
So now, I close all services except when I don't know well the sites i visit but it is not a really straight way to use Avast...
It does happen when I close services before shutting down.
And when i start the computer, Avast start all right, Zone Alarm is much longer to start and my DSL connection need between 1 or 2 minutes (real) to start...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 08:19:05 PM »
It does happen when I close services before shutting down.
Why should you stop the services before shutdown... Nobody has to do it in normal conditions...

And when i start the computer, Avast start all right, Zone Alarm is much longer to start and my DSL connection need between 1 or 2 minutes (real) to start...
A delay is normal as avast is scanning the autostart items but 2 minutes for the DSL seems a lot... It depends on how many programs are set to start automatically with Windows.

PSCD

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 08:19:18 AM »
Thanks.
In fact, I verified and it is working much better , maybe since I uninstalled "SpywareGuard".
Furthermore, it could run faster since this morning after I installed the last Windows Updates, perhaps just an impression, to be verified....
Thanks again. :D

wetabax

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 09:03:03 AM »
Hi, Mr. Technical!

I am still using version 4.6.639. I will get the message to you soon.
thanks for your your portuguese invitation! With these poor words you can visit us in your next vacations :)

Wetabax, in English, can you update to 4.6.639 ? It could fix this issue.
Instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12320.msg103918#msg103918

Em Português: Bem-vindo ao avast!  8)

hpoehrli

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 03:04:48 PM »
Even with newest 4.6.639 the message still appears spradically, no change to earlier versions...sorry

Spyros

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »
I had some problems with "the memory can not be written" messages before (WinXP SP2). A program called PCmedic helped me (http://www.pgware.com/products/pcmedik/). It is shareware, and gives you for free only the "heal" choice. For "heal and boost" you have to pay for it. I used only the free "heal" option and don't have any more problems with memory errors since then. You may want to try it out.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 05:45:14 PM »
Thanks for your your portuguese invitation! With these poor words you can visit us in your next vacations :)
In fact, I'm Brazilian 8) ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:08:59 AM by Technical »

hpoehrli

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 10:36:18 AM »
Hei SPYROS
thanks for your valuable hint for the repair program PCMEDIK. I did run it (free version) and it seemed to have done the repair. But after some shutdowns the error appeard again.
I then loaded Avast 4.6.647, but the error is still there. Multiple applications of PCMEDIK did not repair it.
I'm truly sorry that this was not a solution...
Avast 4.6.647 running without  problems...