Author Topic: Win 32:Malware-gen  (Read 1807 times)

jb100

Win 32:Malware-gen
« on: May 11, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
Upon scanning I receive a message showing a Win 32: Malware-gen in a System volume info/restore file that will not move to chest or delete.  How do I remove it?  Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Win 32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
- Infected Restore Points:
There really is little benefit in chasing a detection in the system volume information folder. It is only there because it had previously been deleted or moved from the system folders and this is a back-up created by system restore.
- Worst case scenario it isn't infected and you delete it, you can't use that restore point in the future, not much of a loss and the older the restore point is the less of an issue it is.

- So if there is any suspicion about a restore point then it is best removed from the system volume information folder or it could bite you in the rear at some point in the future when you use system restore if it included that restore point.

Though why you (avast) are unable to delete it you don't say, what error message is given ?
I suspect that this may be inside an archive file in that restore point.

####
- The C:\System Volume Information folder is a part of the system restore function and as such is protected by windows, the only really effective way to clean infected _restore points is to disable system restore and reboot. This will clear ALL _restore points. Once you have disabled system restore, reboot, scan your PC again and if clear enable system restore.
Windows XP - How to disable http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-disable-the-system-restore
Windows Vista, win7 Disable System Restore http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-system-restore-in-windows-vista/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jb100

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
When I try to delete it it just puts an X in a red circle to the side of the task.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of this as I don't know where this is appearing ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security