Author Topic: Windows 8: Black Screen after Logging In  (Read 49448 times)

Offline MayuraDeSilva

Windows 8: Black Screen after Logging In
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

I've started using Windows 8 Pro and once I installed avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1483 on my PC, I'm getting black screen after logging in.

If I try to log out and log in again or switch to another user account, it ends up with the black screen. I've installed avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1489 too. But yet the same scenario.

Anyway I've got a suggestion to turn off "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" feature from Behavior Shield, and it works perfectly. No more black screens for me :)

Is it a known issue and could be fixed in upcoming version? Or is there any workaround which keeps the "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" feature enabled with no more black screens?

Thanks in advance :)

Johnny4745

Re: Windows 8: Black Screen after Logging In
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »
Hi Folks,

I've started using Windows 8 Pro and once I installed avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1483 on my PC, I'm getting black screen after logging in.

If I try to log out and log in again or switch to another user account, it ends up with the black screen. I've installed avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1489 too. But yet the same scenario.

Anyway I've got a suggestion to turn off "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" feature from Behavior Shield, and it works perfectly. No more black screens for me :)

Is it a known issue and could be fixed in upcoming version? Or is there any workaround which keeps the "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" feature enabled with no more black screens?

Thanks in advance :)

I have seen a lot of people complain about a black screen after Log On.  I wonder if that would have solved their problems?

Hopefully it will be the first thing suggested when it happens again.

Offline Gufron

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:38:07 AM »
Update Your Windows!!!

Work 10 times for me!!  ;D ;D

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »
I have seen a lot of people complain about a black screen after Log On.  I wonder if that would have solved their problems?

Hopefully it will be the first thing suggested when it happens again.

Thanks Johnny :) So far no black screen with that feature disabled.

Update Your Windows!!!

Work 10 times for me!!  ;D ;D

Had no luck with updating Windows mate. I've updated BIOS and drivers too :)

jasoncollege24

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »
Updating windows 8 has no effect against this particular issue as my system was completely up to date at the time this happened. I was forced to run windows 8 system restore to go back to the point just before Avast free was installed.

After the system restore was completed, I reinstalled Avast free antivirus. With this done, I changed the setting in the behavioral shield to uncheck the option "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" and restarted the system. Unchecking this option seems to have resolved the problem of the black screen at logon, but my installation of Google Chrome (installed along with Avast Free Antivirus) is broken, and won't allow to run in windows 8 mode (Metro)

Again I've run system restore to undo the avast installation, and installed google chrome without avast free antivirus installed, and had no problems with chrome that way.

The solution appears to be choosing custom install and unchecking the behavioral shield to prevent it from being installed at all. Allowing it to install gives it the opportunity to block several things that windows does on it's own before you can disable the option to prevent unauthorized modifications.

Offline Gufron

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
wew

@mayuri: what month you buy windows 8? october? november? or january?

@jason: i know that jason, i already experienced that when using windows 8 trial at october. uncheck behavioral shield was the best option.
i download again windows 8 at january and what happen. no more black screen by avast.
that is my case, i dont really know what is the problem then if windows update cant help, sorry  :-\

jasoncollege24

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
the feature of the behavioral shield that prevents unauthorized modifications also a long delay during startup on my windows 7 and windows vista computers, so i had to disable that setting to resolve that as well.

The problem appears to be that this particular setting simply isn't compatible with these versions of windows, and is worse with windows 8.

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
jasoncollege24: I've installed avast! using custom mode and didn't install Google Chrome along with avast! installation mate. After unchecking the option from settings, I've had no problem so far in Win 8. However I've updated BIOS, which was advised for my motherboard if I have Windows 8 installed.

Gufron: I'm not sure about that though. However it's PRO x64 version. It was pre-installed with my PC as I got it built last week mate :)

jasoncollege24

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »
i was having other minor issues that started with the installation of avast. mainly with such things as the account randomly logging me out, or shutting down. those stopped when i took the steps i mentioned above.

Demon32

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:21 AM »
I had the same issue but I somehow fixed it. Open task manager when you login. Kill the avast services and see if that works.

mohanzeal

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
hey i solved the problem  check the article on the web http://forzeal.com/avast-black-screen-problem/

Arlen10

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Solution: If you have black screen and you cannot open Task Manager and the settings you change in safemode aren't working, do the following.

1. Boot up
2. Log in
3. After log in press the Windows Key and D at the same time repeatedly.
4. You SHOULD be at the desktop with no black screen, you can now change the settings

To fix black screen after this follow the instructions below provided by forzeal.com/avast-black-screen-problem/
feedback from avast : Windows 8 black screen problem

go to

security >Behavior Shield > Settings. and click on  Trusted Processes
    Add the following 2  files by browsing them to this paths C:\Windows\explorer.exe and C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe

this should solve your black screen problem ….. :) :)

You can even follow below procedure if the above procedure does not work…..
How to resolve Avast Black Screen Problem in windows 8

Start your computer and log in to your windows 8 OS

After you login with your password or a direct login with out password as usually you will get a black screen if you have an installed avast anti-virus
    press ctrl+alt+del and choose task manager , you can also do it by pressing  ctrl+shift+Esc .
    Go to startup tab in Task manager and right-click your avast! Antivirus there and choose  Open file location.
    A window will open and click on AvastUI  this will open avast user interface .
    Now go to security >Behavior Shield > Settings.

Uncheck the  ” Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications  ” box .

mayuranimation

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
why not solve this prob by avast team

"Shashank4frnnds " this person was a long time ago upload a video for resolve this prob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyh-h5yS1U
Dated :- Published on 23 Apr 2013
Hello Friends,
I was also facing this problem few day ago and I searched on internet but I didn't found anything that works without resetting computer..Then the other day I found this fix in a blog and this fix is by avast and Avast is saying that they will fix it permanently in coming versions and this worked for me and many of my friends so I thought I should share it with you.......

Address that we have to enter Avast:
1. C:\Windows\explorer.exe
2. C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemS­ettings.exe

but this work is not that person today 26th june but avast only update our GUI version and other thing i know that is also very needful and good
but this not joke some people are not tech. person he is not able to open internet browser by using task manager and search on google for find prob.

please do. something is that case   

mayuranimation

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »
why not solve this prob by avast team

"Shashank4frnnds " this person was a long time ago upload a video for resolve this prob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyh-h5yS1U
Dated :- Published on 23 Apr 2013
Hello Friends,
I was also facing this problem few day ago and I searched on internet but I didn't found anything that works without resetting computer..Then the other day I found this fix in a blog and this fix is by avast and Avast is saying that they will fix it permanently in coming versions and this worked for me and many of my friends so I thought I should share it with you.......

Address that we have to enter Avast:
1. C:\Windows\explorer.exe
2. C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemS­ettings.exe

but this work is not that person today 26th june but avast only update our GUI version and other thing i know that is also very needful and good
but this not joke some people are not tech. person he is not able to open internet browser by using task manager and search on google for finf prob.

please do. something is that case   

Muzzerboy

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 05:20:16 AM »
I can't get to the desktop using Windows button and D. And I can't get task manager to pop up. A window appears but before it becomes the task manager, it disappears after about 1/2 second. I can't get past the black screen / mouse cursor. Occasionally I get a flashing blue screen where the whole screen flashes blue/off/blue/off etc. Luckily I don't suffer epilepsy....

Everything was fine before I installed Avast. Now I can't get to the desktop. What a mess.

Can I boot up from some form of bootable drive and fix it that way? It seems unlikely I can fix it from within Windows as I can't get into Windows to start with....

HELP.