Author Topic: Boot time scan & Win98  (Read 6782 times)

kpfuser

Boot time scan & Win98
« on: March 26, 2005, 04:09:37 AM »
I cannot schedule a boot time scan in a Win98 avast4home installation. The help files do not mention whether it can or cannot be done in the case of a Win98 pc. So what is the case? Should I be able to do it or not?

smokethapimp

Re: Boot time scan & Win98
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 05:01:40 AM »
I think I read that Avast does NOT support BootScan in Win98......That is one thing I would add to the wishlist, if it isn't there already, but I don't want to read all 12 pages to find out if it is on the wishlist already! :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 11:51:56 AM »
I think I read that Avast does NOT support BootScan in Win98. That is one thing I would add to the wishlist, if it isn't there already, but I don't want to read all 12 pages to find out if it is on the wishlist already! :D

It's not an avast limitation. It's a Windows limitation.
It won't help adding this into the wishlist as avast can't do nothing.
Boot time scanning is only available in NT based systems (2k or XP).  :-\
The best things in life are free.

smokethapimp

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 07:48:17 PM »
I think I read that Avast does NOT support BootScan in Win98. That is one thing I would add to the wishlist, if it isn't there already, but I don't want to read all 12 pages to find out if it is on the wishlist already! :D

It's not an avast limitation. It's a Windows limitation.
It won't help adding this into the wishlist as avast can't do nothing.
Boot time scanning is only available in NT based systems (2k or XP).  :-\

I am not disputing you, because I know VERY little about all this stuff. :)

I guess my misconception comes from my previous experience with AVG 6.0, which always showed a scan screen during the bootup and would declare no virus found before continuing the boot process.

If you have the time would you mind educating me about this? Thank you in advance...... :)..............Smoke
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 11:27:38 PM by smokethapimp »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 12:31:20 AM »
I guess my misconception comes from my previous experience with AVG 6.0, which always showed a scan screen during the bootup and would declare no virus found before continuing the boot process.

Well, if I'm not wrong, AVG works at logon time of Windows 9x\Me.
Even when there is only one user, it happens after the operational system (drivers, etc.) were loaded.
We're talking about boot time, which is only possible in NT systems. SpyBot, for intance, works at logon time of XP  8)

smokethapimp

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 08:40:37 AM »

Well, if I'm not wrong, AVG works at logon time of Windows 9x\Me.
Even when there is only one user, it happens after the operational system (drivers, etc.) were loaded.
We're talking about boot time, which is only possible in NT systems. SpyBot, for intance, works at logon time of XP  8)

Thank you Technical....as I said, I am quite ignorant about OS and computers in general......so much so that I still don't really understand, but I will take your word for it. AVG calls it a boot scan, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

whocares

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 12:15:57 PM »
Well you can certainly do a (pre-WIN) boot-time scan in Win98, as it's basically DOS-based !!
It just doesn't work this way with avast for WIN

e.g. insert a call to
- avast for DOS or to
- F-PROT (this one certainly works for me on an old Win95-machine)

in the autoexec.bat
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 12:20:48 PM by whocares »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:31:19 PM »
Whocares is right (as usual  ;D)
More information on avast! for DOS could be found on 'Links' in my signature on the section avast  ;)

kpfuser

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 10:54:52 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that the two previous posts by whocares and technical beg for some further, idiot-style, elaboration?

whocares

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 11:23:46 PM »
what do you want to know exactly .. ?
click on "LINKS" in Technical's signature
(signature: this is the blue words which run below all of Technical's postings/topics)

F-PROT can be found here: www.f-prot.com

somewhere on this site, you can also find instructions on how to make a boot-time disk; also read the User's FAQ in the OFFTOPIC-forum, please

in German:
http://www.antivirus-shop.de/fr_boot.htm

in english. go F-prot -> Support
or please post a specific question here

;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 01:07:38 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that the two previous posts by whocares and technical beg for some further, idiot-style, elaboration?

Like Whocares said, can you rephrase your question/statement?
What did I post that need to be elaborated again?

smokethapimp

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 07:16:20 AM »
Guys, thanks again! I will read those links a little later and try to learn something about all this..........Smoke

kpfuser

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 11:59:51 PM »
whocares, technical,

Like Whocares said, can you rephrase your question/statement? What did I post that need to be elaborated again?

I meant that I would appreciate it if you shed some light on the issue you alluded to earlier, i.e., how to set up a boot time scan for Win98. However, now that I managed to discover where Technical's links were hidden (thinks in plain view are hard to see sometimes) and whocares supplied a couple more of the same, I've got some homework to do before I bother you again. So long for now and thanks for the info.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 01:00:52 AM »
Kpfuser, do you need help... I think not...
Anyway, if you think it will be useful to 'Schedule an automatic scans in Home version' not at boot time, see
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796