Author Topic: trojan attached to system volume info files  (Read 2975 times)

Christel

trojan attached to system volume info files
« on: March 29, 2005, 06:06:13 AM »
Hi all!

Just downloaded and registered, and I'm really starting with a bang!

The following virus "win32:Trojan-gen" has attached itself to various files in my c:\system volume info\ folder (for example it's attached to c:\system volume info\_restore{0824737A-688D-44D2-931F-5E29115C4F23}\984.exe and ....697.exe).

Do you know if I can simply delete these files? or should I have to reinstall winXP? is it part of the system restore function (in such case, I'll just delete them because I don't use that functionality).

I also have win32:Rbot-GX attached to c:\windows\system32\svdll.exe. What about that .dll? You think I can delete it?

I had to reinstall XP last week and haven't had the time to download SP2 yet. Maybe that's why I'm so vulnerable... If I have to reinstall again, I'd rather move to Linux!

Thanks a lot in advance
Christel
c.robert@inx.co.za

galooma

Re: trojan attached to system volume info files
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 07:25:19 AM »
Hi and welcome ,
I suggest you go to settings and schedule a boot time scan and see if that solves your problem. System files usually  need this type of scan to be effective. If you get the option move any suspect files to chest firstly.
If the problems are only appearing in system restore files then you can de-activate Sys Restore then re-activate to flush out any bad files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 02:01:55 PM »
Disable system restore, reboot, scan and if clear enable system restore. This will remove all restore points.

Win XP-ME - How to disable System Restore
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Christel

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 03:16:39 AM »
Thanks for your help. Followed your advice.
I also installed Sygate for further protection.

Thanks again
Christel