Author Topic: Beware: Anti-theft does not work  (Read 12106 times)

pauldmps

Beware: Anti-theft does not work
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
I installed Avast anti-theft as soon as I rooted my phone. I configured it as required :

1. Made it device administrator
2. Made it hard reset proof
3. Added recovery phone number'
4. Secured it with 6 digit pin
5. Connected to Avast account (portal)

My phone was stolen two days ago. I logged on to the portal just to find that it says Anti-theft NOT INSTALLED!!! SHOCKER!!!!

As my number now comes as "switched off", I believe the thief has inserted a new sim card. But I did not get a single message on any of the recovery numbers. With absolutely on response from the anti-theft system, I feel cheated.

I now regret having trusted Avast to secure my precious phone. Despite having a bad experience on PC before, I decided to give it a second chance. Damn!!!

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: Beware: Anti-theft does not work
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
How nice of you to complain..

Ive had that once on all my devices after an update.. I resolved by starting AT and checked for issues..

pauldmps

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
^^ Unfortunately that's not an option now that my phone is stolen. When I played with the portal, it worked fine. Now when it is urgent, this piece of crap software does not work !!!

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
has it been shown as INSTALLED before?

pauldmps

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Yes it was working when I installed it.

ukexport

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
Can you send an sms command from the "friend" phone?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
INSTALLED state never goes to NOT INSTALLED if the tool is not actually uninstalled. Are you sure its still present on the device?

Tobias56

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
Lol, how do you want him to answer that question ?  :o

Kandlelight

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
Oh Anti-Theft works alright!!!  AT&T replaced the SIM card in my phone and now because the recovery pin(s) PLURAL would only temporarily unlock my phone, I'm left with a phone that I can't use and an EXTREMELY SLOW response forum board and ticket support system!!! :(  FRUSTRATING

reinhardholzner

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
Oh Anti-Theft works alright!!!  AT&T replaced the SIM card in my phone and now because the recovery pin(s) PLURAL would only temporarily unlock my phone, I'm left with a phone that I can't use and an EXTREMELY SLOW response forum board and ticket support system!!! :(  FRUSTRATING
is this related to this thread? i think i do not understand your issue.

pauldmps

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »
INSTALLED state never goes to NOT INSTALLED if the tool is not actually uninstalled. Are you sure its still present on the device?

I am sure it was installed properly on the device. I always kept it updated as soon as any update was out. I haven't checked the portal in the last few weeks.

pauldmps

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
Another thread with multiple users reporting the same issue. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=118709.0

Alan41238584

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
INSTALLED state never goes to NOT INSTALLED if the tool is not actually uninstalled.

That's not true, it did exactly that a few weeks ago on my mobile, and it did it again two days ago on both my devices when I installed the latest anti-theft update.

I fixed the issue by disconnecting/re-connecting to the account (From the device). I took a couple of goes before everything was back to normal this time.

The problem is that if you don't regularly check via the on-line account, there's no indication of any problem. Then, if your phone gets stolen, the system is useless just when you need it.

Reminds me of the fire extinguisher in Fawlty Towers - it just sits there doing nothing for years & years, then, when you actually need it! .....

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 04:19:07 AM »

Yes it does. The same thing happened to me.
I used to be able to locate my phone using the web site but when I tried it today,
it didn't work and it also says that it's not installed on my phone.

Luckily, my phone was just lying somewhere in my apartment, so I found it (had a friend call it)
and the program is still installed on it. I haven't tried anti-theft in a while but I noticed that the
web site looks different now, so they must have changed something when they redid the site.

It's a classical case of a "let's fix this thing that's already working fine".  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »
I am in the process of installing Avast's Anti-theft app.  Does anyone know of someone actually retrieving a "stolen" cell phone with the help of this or these type of apps?