Author Topic: Outlook provider not working  (Read 4290 times)

hegedusa

Outlook provider not working
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:23:19 PM »
I'm having the same problem I was having earlier this month, which seemed to go away after re-installing avast completely. But now I think I have narrowed down the problem.

The outlook resident provider does not appear to work. Even when started, it shows as "greyed out" when looking at the list of providers. It doesn't appear to be active at all. The internet mail shield does work though. Any ideas?

I am running copernic desktop search beta and google desktop search, I don't think they'll be causing problems, as I know other people who use them and don't have avast problems.

Could it be Nokia sync? I also have something called synchronisation companion which syncs with a server on the web.

I'm running avast pro 4.6.623 / windows xp pro and outlook 2003.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony

hegedusa

Re: Outlook provider not working
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:11:43 PM »
I can add that the outlook provider is telling me that it says it is waiting for a subsystem to start (this is even when outlook is running).

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »
Have a look to see if  Avast mail scanner  is running in services.msc

seem odd that you have Outlook open and still not running.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:40:20 PM »
The Outlook/Exchange provider is for MS Outlook or MS Exchange only - MS Outlook Express (OE) uses the Internet Mail provider. So if you aren't using OE or another email client other than MS Outlook, terminate the Internet Mail provider, this may be causing some unwanted interference with the Outlook/Exchange provider.

I can add that the outlook provider is telling me that it says it is waiting for a subsystem to start (this is even when outlook is running).
If you are indeed using MS Outlook, then it is waiting for you to start MS Outlook. If MS Outlook is started, check in the plug-ins list and see if avast is enabled (not sure how this is done, I don't use Outlook).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hegedusa

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »
If you are indeed using MS Outlook, then it is waiting for you to start MS Outlook. If MS Outlook is started, check in the plug-ins list and see if avast is enabled (not sure how this is done, I don't use Outlook).

Thanks - I've checked that. I've also made sure that the internet mail provider is stopped (but it always used to be on).

I just can't see what's changed. Possibly, this is what was wrong a couple of weeks ago, but I got around it by reinstalling avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 07:54:59 PM »
Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.
The best things in life are free.

hegedusa

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 07:36:58 PM »
Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.

Great! That worked. Thank you so much.

I had no idea that items could be disabled automatically like this. It says that the item had been disabled because it had stopped outlook from starting.

I think outlook isn't very reliable....