Author Topic: Wireless router - is faster better? Dual band?  (Read 3432 times)

Groomerdriver

Wireless router - is faster better? Dual band?
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
I don't know where else to ask this question and I'm hoping the Avast community can steer me in the right direction!  :)

Current internet speed is 10mb down and 500kb up.  Frequent Speedtest.net checks confirm consistent down/up performance.
Current wireless router is a ZyXel NBG-419 (http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/nbg_419n.shtml?t=p) with 300mb performance.
Current computers are all new within a year (Win7) and have fast processors (dual or quad core) and good integrated graphics (no video cards installed).  Wireless signal strength is "good".

What issues are driving my question?
1.  Using Skype the inbound picture is somewhat pixilated (sp?) and fuzzy. Not bad but I was honestly expecting better.  Camera is a Logitech UBK45.
2.  Watching a purchased HD movie on Direct TV Cinema has yielded choppy at best performance. (I forget the word that best describes what's happening)

So in your opinion is my performance issue more related to the internet speed, the router or a combination of factors?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!  :)

Dch48

Re: Wireless router - is faster better? Dual band?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
It could be a problem with graphics drivers but also could be due to latency issues between you and what you're receiving. It's hard to pin down in most cases. It also could be due to drivers for your wireless cards. You could also be getting interference from nearby wireless networks in which case  changing the channel your router broadcasts on could help. Try a less used one like 9 or 10.

Groomerdriver

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
It could be a problem with graphics drivers but also could be due to latency issues between you and what you're receiving. It's hard to pin down in most cases. It also could be due to drivers for your wireless cards. You could also be getting interference from nearby wireless networks in which case  changing the channel your router broadcasts on could help. Try a less used one like 9 or 10.

Thanks Dch48 for your reply!  I'm 90% sure all drivers are up to date but will triplecheck!  Nearby wireless networks aren't the cause as we live in a "country" setting.....not suburban with many houses close by.  Yes could be latency but how would I find out of this is the issue?  We only Skype with one person so a comparison between other folks isn't in the cards.

Maybe I'm asking for too much from Skype and/or our internet speeds?  I'm not hoping for HD quality video...just a clear picture.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »
Skype works poorly if your recipients upload speed is slow.

If you don't have a 5Ghz adapter then you don't have to get a dual band router. If you do buy the dual band router, I would suggest Asus.

You can try changing the Wifi channel of your current router.

Use this tool to find a good channel

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Groomerdriver

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
Skype works poorly if your recipients upload speed is slow.

If you don't have a 5Ghz adapter then you don't have to get a dual band router. If you do buy the dual band router, I would suggest Asus.

You can try changing the Wifi channel of your current router.

Use this tool to find a good channel

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

The recipient is this case is using a 4G Verizon access point.  I do not know what typical down/up 4G speeds are.  The down speeds are pretty good as I understand.

I installed your recommended tool and found that my channel is OK as is.