Author Topic: Build .1489 - Possible Bug: Virus Alerts message sending  (Read 12391 times)

Tetsuo

Re: Build .1489 - Possible Bug: Virus Alerts message sending
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »
By the way, tech support's reply doesn't explain why Avast! freezes and becomes totally unresponsive.

Offline grenneam

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Well I've been working with computers since 1967 and in the past they use to use a phrase "Unspecified Results" which included everything from a total system crash to minor or major data corruption.  But your point about it not being mentioned in the HELP system is a good one - given that it pretty much temporarily turns your pc into a doorstop.  :o

Offline grenneam

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »
A couple of Minutes ago I posted this message in a reply to the Tech Support Help Desk.
Thank you for your response.  Due to the severity of the consequences in attempting to set up a Virus Alert to a mail system that uses SSL and the fact that the Avast system does not support SSL email communications, I would think that it would be prudent to “Issue a Warning”.   The proper location for the warning would be in the HELP system information that deals with setting the email parameters.  Thank you in advance for your attention to this issue.

Tetsuo

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
Thanks again, grenneam. Should you succeed in getting in touch with them again, it'd be a good idea to provide them with a link to this thread.

Offline grenneam

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
Guess what?  I got another message from avast support today.  Here is the "Body" of the message.

This message concerns your ticket #YGB-910-26500. We have not received any response back from you in 72 hours, and would like to know if you consider this issue to be resolved. If you have any further questions, simply respond to this e-mail.

Ticket ID: YGB-910-26500
   Subject: Avast system becomes unresponsive (Locks Up) when testing "Virus Alert" email when the ISP is using SSL encryption
   Department: Technical Support (Level 2)
   Type: Communication
   Priority: Normal

Please note that the ticket will automatically be closed within 72 hours if no response is received from you. The ticket will not be closed in the case that you send another reply. You can check the status of or reply to this ticket online at: https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Ticket/View/YGB-910-26500

Kind regards,

AVAST Software a.s.

I sent them this reply.

This issue is still active in my mind because Avast has done nothing to prevent it from happening and the consequences are catastrophic to the users operation.   I can understand Avast not being capable of handling SSL email transmissions at this time, but, at the very least, there should be some sort of WARNING given when trying to set up the person’s email information, via a pop-up or some “un-ignorable” message stating that SSL is NOT SUPPORTED, and that a Possible/probable system lock-up might occur.
          Here’s a link to the problem as discussed in the Avast forums
                   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123961.msg951853#msg951853

Finally, it appears to me that there is an increasing emphasis being placed on personal security within the digital world, and more and more ISP’s are opting for secure communications via SSL or other encryption methods.  So eventually Avast will either have to address this problem or see an increasing number of complaints IMHO.

Saga continues!

Tetsuo

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »
:D

well done, man!

Offline grenneam

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
Things are looking UP!!!!  Received this reply from Avast Support today. :)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello,

avast! Mail shield supports ssl/tsl, however secure connection was not supported in avast! alerts. it has been implemented to the latest version thanks to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Petr Bucek
Technical Support

AVAST Software a. s.
Budějovická 1518/13A
140 00 Prague, Czech Republic

Ticket Details
Priority: High

Support Center: https://support.avast.com/index.php?

Tetsuo

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
Good news!

Not sure where it has been implemented, though. Avast 8 R3 Beta or Avast 2014 Beta1?

Offline grenneam

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »
Looks like they fixed it!!!  It's working in the 2014 Version.  I was "reluctant" to try it and earlier than that seeing as how they didn't put a date on when they were going to resolve the issue, and when I checked before it was still a problem.

Tetsuo

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
Looks like they fixed it!!!  It's working in the 2014 Version.  I was "reluctant" to try it and earlier than that seeing as how they didn't put a date on when they were going to resolve the issue, and when I checked before it was still a problem.

Yeah, I'm using Avast! Free 9.0.2008 (it's the previous 2014 build) and it's currently working.