Author Topic: Hotmail  (Read 6462 times)

Keith Agius

Hotmail
« on: September 20, 2003, 11:19:51 AM »
Hi Guys,
Just a quick one. I have XP and Outlook Express and have a pop account and Hotmail which I check via Outlook Express. Am I right in saying that Hotmail is not checked by Avast 4? I had a few alets due to that Microsoft email worm which was picked up and I deleted it from my pop account but the same email came through Hotmail and no alert. I gathered that Hotmail wasn't able to be scanned with Avast 4. If this is so will Avast be able to in future or should I get rid of my Hotmail account?
Cheers Keith

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re:Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 12:18:50 PM »

Waldo

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 03:41:51 PM »
well, atleast you won't be completely out of protection, as Hotmail uses Macafee scanner to check incoming and outgoing attachments.

And offcourse the resident provider of Avast will pick nasty's up when they get past Macafee (wich gives normally very good protection).

Waldo

Keith Agius

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 03:46:41 PM »
So you mean if a virus gets through Hotmail then the Avast resident scanner will pick it up anyway??

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 09:21:33 PM »
Sure, abolutely. There are multiple lines of defense. The mail scanner is just one of them (although a very convenient one since it's able to catch the beasts before they actually get to your machine)...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Waldo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 06:08:02 PM »
I'm sure that you won't receive any more infected messages via hotmail anymore, as they updated there Macafee engine to detect it also. :)

Macafee is been a good scanner (tool) for many years now...don't worry to much.

Waldo

judith

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 10:54:01 AM »
Hotmail uses McAfee which will intercept viruses if you read your Hotmail through a browser eg Internet Explorer, but if you use Outlook Express you bypass the virus check.
Hotmail used with Outlook Express provides no protection.