Author Topic: Avast blocks file operations when VPS is out of date  (Read 2018 times)

the hermit

Avast blocks file operations when VPS is out of date
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »
Hello,

(Sorry if this has been posted before - I did a search and could not find anything relevant.)

My wife's laptop is running avast 8.0.1483 on Win XP professional, and we are very happy with the protection it provides.
However, we seem to have found a problem with avast's behaviour in one particular case:

When the laptop spends several days without receiving a VPS update -for example when she is out of our wifi link for a long period- she can no longer view films or listen to music.

We've tried with Media Player Classic and with Windows player, both do the same thing: when a file is selected, the 'opening' screen stays displayed and the player crashes. Killing the player process in the task manager doesn't help, it always requires a battery pull or a hard restart.
Opening music in Winamp always leads to playing the last title that was opened before the VPS 'expired', but never the new one she wants to listen to.

Here's the trick. If I update via our internet connection or if I do a manual update using vpsupd.exe, the problem vanishes for 48 hours.

--> Now, is there any particular reason for Avast to block file operations when the VPS is outdated? It's quite a handicap when you don't have regular access to the internet (travelling, or when in hospital for long periods, for example) ?

Since she does not use any kind of exchangeable media in these cases, I tried to turn off the avast service completely as a workaround. Even logged in as administrator, I'm not allowed to do it.

I'd very much appreciate alternate solutions to this, since I can't necessarily give her a VPS update every other day and this means her laptop is useless to her most of the time at the moment.

Many thanks!

PS Home computer has exactly the same version of XP and avast and this never happens, because it's always online.

Herm.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast blocks file operations when VPS is out of date
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. are you using the avst free,pro or suite version of avast?

it sounds like it could be something with update to the latest version that was not 100% ok.

i would suggest you try a repiar of avast.

start- control panel- add/remove programs scroll down to avast- hit uninstall- choice the opition repiar.

did this solve your problem? if not try a clean installation of avast. 
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

the hermit

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
Hi.

Sorry, forgot to mention it's the free version.

As for the install problems, would that not lead to either a malfunctioning avast all the time, or at least a total impossibility to update? If I connect to the internet on this laptop, the problem goes away as soon as VPS updates. Other than that, I can scan, open the UI, change settings perfectly normally.
Next time I get a chance I'll try a repair, but since the program seems to otherwise be perfectly fine I don't know what to expect.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:39:50 PM by the hermit »

the hermit

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »
So, update.

After trying the steps suggested in the previous response, I got no change in Avast's behaviour.

The only solution to keep the laptop running normally was to completely remove Avast until the wife is back from hospital, at which point it will be reinstalled so she can go on the internet again.

Since Avast was removed, there have been no more problems opening any files, and she can do her course work and play videos/music perfectly OK.

I therefore stand by my initial suggestion that when the virus B is outdated, Avast blocks file operations on computers for no reason.
I'd be happy to be kept posted on further opinions, esp. if this happens to other people.

PLEASE NOTE this only occurs when a computer has been offline for several days.

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
So, update.

After trying the steps suggested in the previous response, I got no change in Avast's behaviour.

The only solution to keep the laptop running normally was to completely remove Avast until the wife is back from hospital, at which point it will be reinstalled so she can go on the internet again.

Since Avast was removed, there have been no more problems opening any files, and she can do her course work and play videos/music perfectly OK.

I therefore stand by my initial suggestion that when the virus B is outdated, Avast blocks file operations on computers for no reason.
I'd be happy to be kept posted on further opinions, esp. if this happens to other people.

PLEASE NOTE this only occurs when a computer has been offline for several days.

You can send the file via email to avast lab
virus@avast.com
put "false positive" to email subject