Poll

Do you like the Avast sounds?

Yes
14 (77.8%)
No I turn them off.
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: [Request] Turn sounds off by default : [poll] Do you like the avast sounds?  (Read 8686 times)

Warwagon19792

I would just like to make a recommendation to have the sounds in Avast  turned off by default. No offense, but they are super annoying and tacky. Why does the computer have to talk to you EVERY time it updates it's database?

It's always the VERY first thing I disable on every new Avast installation. It would be nice if they were turned off by default with an option to enable them if you choose.

... ok so apparently people like the sounds. Like when it alerts them of a virus. I can see how that might be useful. But a sound when it updates the virus definitions? why? That happens a few times a day.. So how about we just disable the virus definition update sound by default?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:33:12 PM by Warwagon19792 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Turn sounds off by default
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
Most users including myself actually like the notification sounds so you are in the minority I'm afraid, it's easy enough to turn off if you don't like it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Turn sounds off by default
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
I rather doubt that is going to happen as a default option.

You will find more like the sounds than dislike them, avast gives you the option to disable sounds if you don't want them. But more so to selectively disable sounds for certain events.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

Sorry pal, but I like Avast! telling me what is going on. The only sound I did not like was the old siren virus alert version 4 had. It would scare the life out of me :o

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
The sounds of avast are one of the characteristics that make it different and highly appreciated by users.In addition,if you do not want to hear is the possibility to disable them all or any in particular  :D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Warwagon19792 I don't know why you suddenly decided to add a poll to this topic as the suggestion you put forward has already been answered, if you don't like the sounds then turn them off manually but they are going to remain on as default.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
To the OP I happen to belong to the majority. Those avast sounds get my attention. Which I believe is the whole point.
As stated before, "if you don't like them, shut them off".  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Warwagon19792

To the OP I happen to belong to the majority. Those avast sounds get my attention. Which I believe is the whole point.

Ok then, how about we leave them turned on, but turn the virus definition update sound off by default. Because does it really have to speak to use when that happens?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
you should see all the complaints posted here in the forum when sound does not work .....   ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:39:52 PM by Pondus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
And you can also turn on other sounds..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBEARp5ftsE
I have a Dutch version with Polish fun sounds...

Enjoy
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman

Ok then, how about we leave them turned on, but turn the virus definition update sound off by default. Because does it really have to speak to use when that happens?
How about letting each user make their own choice.
Any user has the option to choose which sounds they want.  8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:56:28 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Why not turn your speakers down or off.  Personally I like the sounds.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Yeh, keep talkin to me Baby~! ;D ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman

Hammey

Hi Warwagon im with you I turn them off but I also turn off all windows sounds. I work on my pc and dont need useless sounds. There are 2 kinds of users, one uses there pc to browse the net and facebook and facebook LOL they cry when there wallpaper stops changing all the time and the other actually need there pc's for work. Example windows startup sound, you know that windows wont load until it plays that tune and also I guess some have to hear that dam click everytime you click anything with the mouse. LOL