Author Topic: subscription expired  (Read 10029 times)

makapa

subscription expired
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
hi all

keep getting message window saying avast has expired .

kinda puzzling as i only ever use the FREE version.

since this message i have no antivirus software now, seems that in order to get rid of the FREE antivrus users they pop this window up and wont let the program update.

if anyone can recommend a good antivirus program with the exception of avast as it just expires for no reason, i would be pleased to know.

have found the prog to be very good up till now when it appears avast are kicking all free users out of the program.

of course writing to avast is a waste of time as they have a standard reply which is that they do not reply to free users only to registered users.

maka

nice while it lasted eh

Aventador

Re: subscription expired
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
You must register the FREE version. It even explains that. Its still free but register you must.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/registration-free-antivirus.php

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
hi all

keep getting message window saying avast has expired .
kinda puzzling as i only ever use the FREE version.

1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline titanic4

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »
Strangely I noticed the problem too: Avast Free Antivirus got changed into AIS with expired subscription without my permission. After its own update all it did is downgraded from avast 8 to avast 7(wtf). Downloading Avast Free Antivirus and i'll see if it fixed the issue.

EDIT: Installing... Crossing the fingers!

Edit2: i had to reboot twice on avast re-installation, but afterwards it worked like a charm.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:51:49 PM by titanic4 »

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
Strangely I noticed the problem too: Avast Free Antivirus got changed into AIS with expired subscription without my permission. After its own update all it did is downgraded from avast 8 to avast 7(wtf). Downloading Avast Free Antivirus and i'll see if it fixed the issue.

Edit2: i had to reboot twice on avast re-installation, but afterwards it worked like a charm.

Impossible. AIS is a completely different program. It's not like Avast Free is AIS with features disabled. So you had to download and install AIS over Avast Free.

dj1917

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »
Well, it clearly ISN'T impossible despite the above reply, as exactly the same thing has happened to me. I've been using Avast free for several years now and I'm pretty IT-competent, as it's my job to be, so don't tell me I downloaded the wrong version. Looks like during an engine update, people have had their free versions changed to trial versions of AIS. 

shadowwolf75

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
I've officially encountered a similar bug TWICE now, though it hasn't been switching to AIS. Both of the laptops in the house are win7, and both have had their free versions mysteriously turn into expired Pro versions. It might have something to do with system restore, because it didn't start doing it on this laptop until after I ran that.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »

Impossible. AIS is a completely different program. It's not like Avast Free is AIS with features disabled. So you had to download and install AIS over Avast Free.

It isn't impossible, if you browse the forums you will see several instances, it is/was a bug (which didn't effect everyone) most commonly triggered by system restore, but not exclusively. But that bug should be resolved in the latest avast version, but first you have to get to the latest release.

For those with those problem a clean reinstall to the latest avast free version would also resolve it.

As mentioned, more commonly it ended up being converted to an expired Pro version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security