Author Topic: Could this be causing my SSL scan problem?  (Read 10531 times)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Could this be causing my SSL scan problem?
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »
Take a look at the attached screen captures. The one with the mail accounts shown is from a computer that works fine as far as SSL scanning is concerned. The one without the mail accounts shown is from a computer that gives error messages when I bring up my email program, Postbox or when I try to send an email.

Is there a way to allow the two computers to look the same as far as those graphics are concerned? I would appreciate your help.

No idea if that would help but it would be wonderful if it did.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Johnny4745

Re: Could this be causing my SSL scan problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
Take a look at the attached screen captures. The one with the mail accounts shown is from a computer that works fine as far as SSL scanning is concerned. The one without the mail accounts shown is from a computer that gives error messages when I bring up my email program, Postbox or when I try to send an email.

Is there a way to allow the two computers to look the same as far as those graphics are concerned? I would appreciate your help.

No idea if that would help but it would be wonderful if it did.

Are you using two different versions of Avast?  I'm using the latest version, and there is no place to enter Email information.  Mine looks like the bottom image.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
Well, thanks, Johnny.

I am using 8.0.1489 but the blank one was a clean install yesterday so that could explain why it looks like yours.

Thanks for the information.

Well, back to the drawing board. :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
the one with problem..... is it also Gmail accounts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »
@ jadinolf
Essentially there shouldn't be any entries in the SSL scanning section (as the text at the bottom of the window basically confirms), I don't know why you have those two there. But you have to have the gmail account setting in your email client set as if avast was never in the picture.

Whilst they are there there may well be a problem. I also notice that you have them set to POP3 and SMTP, when gmail would be using IMAP normally wouldn't it.

I have gmail but I only use it as webmail based I don't
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »

Hi Pondus, all are gmail. Don't confuse this with the gmail that we are all familiar with. My ISP made a deal with Google to handle their email but up until now, all was fine. Now I don't know what is responsible for my problems- avast!, gmail or my email program but no one has offered any help. My guess is avast!

Problem started about April 27. Funny things is all of my computers experience that certificate thing but now they are fine. I am left with 3 computers that misbehaved so I removed avast! from two of them and the email/certificate problem went away. I am determined to get the last computer working but I have failed at every attempt.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

All the same Pondus.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
if you dont get it to work your mail is still protected.
Google protect all mail accounts with postini spam virus filter, using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
@ jadinolf
Essentially there shouldn't be any entries in the SSL scanning section (as the text at the bottom of the window basically confirms), I don't know why you have those two there. But you have to have the gmail account setting in your email client set as if avast was never in the picture.

Whilst they are there there may well be a problem. I also notice that you have them set to POP3 and SMTP, when gmail would be using IMAP normally wouldn't it.

David, I have ALWAYS used POP3 and SMTP. All 5 of my computers were set up that way.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »
All are Gmail. That's what my ISP uses.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
if you dont get it to work your mail is still protected.
Google protect all mail accounts with postini spam virus filter, using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee
Pondus, I had licenses for 6 computers and since my emails ARE protected by Google, I will disable email checking on the problematic computer and go on with my life. I want avast! on at least the three computers I use the most - the Windows 7 ones.

Thanks everyone.

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »
think email scanning is primarily a waste of resources.  I don't see how it would pick up something that the real time scanner wouldn't pick up before execution anyway.

Also how does avast scan SSL mail? 

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
think email scanning is primarily a waste of resources.  I don't see how it would pick up something that the real time scanner wouldn't pick up before execution anyway.

Also how does avast scan SSL mail?

I agree. After giving it thought, I have never gotten an infected email in my three months -- oh wait 30 years of computer experiences. ;)

I'm just obsessive about programs not working like they are supposed to.

Thanks Computer Repair Tech.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
@ jadinolf

Sorry David. I thought that I had replied to your post. I think the forum sort of stopped me.

Yes, my servers are pop.gmail.com and  smtp.gmail.com - no further explanation. Has worked for me for many years.

Of course, I do have web mail and if I use it, my email looks very similar TO GMAIL. I have a feeling if I change ISPs my SSL thing would be over too. Not worth the effort and I would not have more than one other choice. I sort of live in the country.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
I don't know what your ISP or what your email client are, but mine, BT Internet, has Yahoo handle my email, but I don't have yahoo in my email client account settings, I enter my ISP email server details mail.btinternet.com and usual ports and that is somehow handed off to yahoo.

But I don't see that as it happens in the background, only when I use webmail do I then see the BT Yahoo branding.

So there is certainly something weird going on with your ISP and email server settings, never seen anything like this before though. I would start from scratch and visit your ISP site and confirm that your email settings are correct.

But if those two entries are still in the avast SSL settings I would remove them, you didn't say if you had done that or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security