Author Topic: Password Protected Files  (Read 13128 times)

YXtanyaXY

Password Protected Files
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Hi,
Windows XP Pro SP3 - completely Up to date
Avast! 7
I ran a Full System scan: and the results said that not all files could be scanned because they are password protected.
"Error: Archive is password protected"

IIRC these are compresses files so unless I uncompressed them they are not potentially harmful as is.
Is that right?

Please advise.
Thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Password Protected Files
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected
avast just gave you a scan error report and the reason why

many programs protect there files with passwords like security programs / adobe .... and more

files that can not be scanned is the most frequent asked question in this forum so you find a million posts with info if you search

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
Link would have been nice.And the results (I've read) are not specific to the situation on this PC.

files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected
avast just gave you a scan error report and the reason why

many programs protect there files with passwords like security programs / adobe .... and more

files that can not be scanned is the most frequent asked question in this forum so you find a million posts with info if you search

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »
attach screenshot of scan error.......

if you put mouse pointer on the vertical bar in front of severity, and dragg sideways first....then you get the full file path before you take the secreen shot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
Hi,
Avast! 7
I ran a Full System scan: and the results said that not all files could be scanned because they are password protected.

IIRC these are compresses files so unless I uncompressed them they are not potentially harmful as is.
Is that right?

Not entirely correct that compressed files are not potentially harmful. Avast doesn't scan archives (exceptions below) for the reason you mention.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the file name, 2) reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 3) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings (as mentioned) to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations of these files that can't be scanned might help us further ?

Exceptions:
But some archives are executable, installation files are compressed archives, so you will see that there are types of archive which are scanned by default.

The boot-time scan also scans al archives by default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:33:34 AM »
attach screenshot of scan error.......
Here are the screenshot: The files are all from the same source: "install_flashplayer11x32au_mssd_aih.exe"

C:\Documents and Settings\Tanya\My Documents\Downloads
if you put mouse pointer on the vertical bar in front of severity, and dragg sideways first....then you get the full file path before you take the secreen shot
There is nothing under "severity".

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:39:18 AM »
Hi,
Avast! 7

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the file name, 2) reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 3) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings (as mentioned) to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations of these files that can't be scanned might help us further ?
They all come from "install_flashplayer11x32au_mssd_aih.exe"
C:\Documents and Settings\Tanya\My Documents\Downloads\install_flashplayer11x32au_mssd_aih.exe
Error#: 42056
Exceptions:
But some archives are executable, installation files are compressed archives, so you will see that there are types of archive which are scanned by default.
The boot-time scan also scans al archives by default.
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
You're welcome.

There will be nothing found under Severity as that relates to infected files, these are just files that can't be scanned and the reason why.

Adobe flash player has taken to password protecting its installations and updates, so this is normal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Puritan9

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
I have been having a problem with hundreds of files that that could not be scanned by Avast because they were password protected when I used the full scan.  Last night I decided to remove Avast from my computer and then reinstall it. IT WORKED!  :) :) :) I can completely scan my computer now with no files that are password protected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »
Well it would have helped had you mentioned some of the files that couldn't be scanned, file name and location. That would give us an idea of A) the program that created these files and B) why they might have been password protected.

I rather feel that this is a fortunate coincidence, unless the password protected files were related to avast and I haven't seen anything like that reported in the forums.

Offline SpockFan94

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
Why is it confusing after I finished my scanning progress@

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
Why is it confusing after I finished my scanning progress@

Sorry, but you are going to have to explain in more detail, what your confusion is ?