Author Topic: Kerio is the ticket!  (Read 26255 times)

Culpeper

Kerio is the ticket!
« on: March 30, 2005, 05:07:17 AM »
Man, after much confusion and frustration over whether not Sygate was a good combo with Webshield, I decided to uninstall Sygate and try out Kerio.  I'm sticking with Kerio.  The default settings are all I need out of a firewall and it works great with Avast thus far.  Sygate is history on my machines.

I used both Sygate Pro and Sygate Free with the same controversial problems associated with both of them.  Sygate bad.  Kerio good.  Avast Webshield good.

neiby

Re: Kerio is the ticket!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 07:38:17 AM »
Welcome to the dark side!   ;)

John (another happy Kerio user)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 09:46:23 AM »
And 4.2 is coming in the next few days!

Plus if you use the free version, you get the FULL firewall product, including intrusion detection. Sygate free isn't the full firewall.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

galooma

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 11:40:28 AM »
I have to agree with you , Kiero looks a winner. ZA and its lousy memory can go jump :P

kakapo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 11:19:46 PM »
Another "dark-sider" here.   ;)
I've run Kerio with Avast on the PC since version 4.0.8 and  am currently trying the latest Kerio 4.2 beta 4 which has given no problems either. I think everyone will like the new update.
After several ZA debacles, I'm happy with Kerio and Avast which is, of course, my favourite AV!
Happy days
kakapo

Green Dragon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »
I am very happy too, running Anast 4.6 with Kerio 4.2 Beta 4.
Non problem. All work smooth and fine. And memory usage quite normal.
I 'll stay with both of them.

Is there any information about final Kerio 4.2 release?

Thanks Alwil and Kerio. Great Job!

Have a nice day!

sded

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:02:51 AM »
Dark side of Kerio.  Switched to 4.1.3 and had the same problems I encountered with 4.2B4-Kerio doesn't always load at boot .  Saw a few other messages about this on their website.  No solution-don't know what the conflict is.  In spite of being installed as an automatic service under XP SP2, it just comes up partially at boot (based on "protect a startup and shutdown being checked") and then goes away, never to be seen again, until you start it manually.  Also tried putting it in the startup folder;didn't help.  Happened only occasionally with 4.1.2.  Watch carefully to be sure KPF 4 is really running if you plan to use it.  No comment from their forum on the questions about it.  Sygate is looking better again, unless Kerio comes up with an explanation/fix.

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 02:57:53 AM »
Is the WinXp firewall accidentally on.

sded

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 03:01:16 AM »
No; it is disabled.  Actually, I cheated a bit and am trying out KPF 2.1.5 as an alternative, but this was not a problem on 4.1.2; just cropped up on the 4.2 beta and now 4.1.3.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 03:03:12 AM by sded »

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 03:10:32 AM »
I'm using 4.1.2.  Thanks for the input.

You're right.  They're not much help on the subject on the Kerio board.  I won't update my version until they resolve the bug.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 03:16:59 AM »
Sded, won't be ZoneAlarm an alternative?
I used ZA for five years, changed to Outpost, went to Sygate and come back to Outpost.
Tried Kerio some time ago but version 4 seemed to much 'bloatware' for me... Maybe just an impression.
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 03:38:42 AM »
I used ZAF, ZAP, ZASS but found they didn't provide adequate logging or display insight into what was happening or how things should be configured.  One use of a firewall is for figuring out what should/shouldn't have been blocked/allowed, and ZA never really helped me.   But try the newest ZAF and see if it suits you.  I am trying out Kerio 2.1.5, and so far seems fine.  Like the KPF4 GUI, but don't understand the startup problem at all.  Must be a conflict with something, but I don't have a complicated system and don't see any effort on the Kerio forum to help solve the previous comments on it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 03:45:32 AM »
I used ZAF, ZAP, ZASS but found they didn't provide adequate logging or display insight into what was happening or how things should be configured.
You're right... For ZoneAlarm, I always consider VisualZone (http://visualize.phenominet.com) a must have complement.

I don't have a complicated system and don't see any effort on the Kerio forum to help solve the previous comments on it.
Unfortunatelly (or not  ;D), no other forum can give you the same support as here  ;)
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 04:14:55 AM »
Agree, places like Kerio specifically don't do official forum  support for their free versions, in spite of the fact they could point to it in their pay versions as "50K hours of beta testing" or some such.  Oh well, wait to see what happens on Kerio.  In the meantime, if you want to try it, a good free version of Kerio 2.1.5 is available at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio along with a prebuilt set of rules to modify if you like.  Will report back after trying it for a bit.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:17:42 AM by sded »

neiby

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 06:29:09 AM »
Not that it's overly relevant, but I've been using Kerio for many months and I've used a number of beta versions including all of the versions released recently and I've had no problems like that at all with Win XP Home SP1 or SP2.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out what application is causing the conflict. Just stop everything but KPF from starting and slowly add apps back to your startup list. However, I have a feeling that you've done this already and weren't able to determine the culprit. Is that the case?